gas, timing belt noise?

Hey all,

Just wondering what gas people have found to give their older camry's the best performance. Also, is there any specific noise the timing belt might make when it needs to be changed, I'm experiencing a medium to hight pitched steady noise when the engine is being taxed. I usually can only hear it when I have my passenger side window open and I drive by a solid structure like a brick wall or something like that...Thanks for any help.

Reply to
ED EDIT68

might be a water pump, making noise. regular gas is good enough.

Reply to
mark Ransley

If you hear pinging, try the next highest grade of gas.

Timing belts (unlike chains) usually don't make much audible indication when they are about to fail. Inspecting the belt is a good idea. But changing it at 90K miles is also a good idea. Change the water pump at the same as the timing belt while it is easily accessible.

It is possible that you are hearing other parts in the fan belt or timing belt assembly that are wearing out. These include all the pulleys, water pump, alternator, etc.

Reply to
Mark A

I use regular in my 93 4 cyl. and it works fine.

JP

Reply to
JP

Sometimes engines change after significant wear. Shit happens. Hot weather (not found in Canada) can also make pinging more of a problem.

Reply to
Mark A

best performance is a tune up, and old timing belts retard timing , by stretching.

Reply to
mark Ransley

After 70K miles on the 2nd timing belt, my '99 Camry made a noise in the timing cover, most ly at idle or a bit above, like a slapping sound against the cover. I figured the timing belt had stretched, was loose and I was right. A new one cured it. It won't always do this and can snap. A whine sounds more like something else like an alternator, ps pump, transaxle, etc.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

THanks for all the help, lots of good info

Reply to
ED EDIT68