hanging exhaust '02 cam.4cyl

hey group, on my recently picked up '02 4cyl camry, there is a section of exhaust that hangs (what seems to me) very low. it is the section after the cat. converter (just about under the rear pass. seats and trunk area) and before the muffler. there is a part of it w/ some kind of black rubber hanger or something the size of a tennis ball hanging from (just before the bend to get to the muffler) it but i can't see where it might have slipped off of. is this hanging down normal/typical.

thanks...

mike...............

Reply to
JerseyMike

Yes it is. People have mentioned it many times. My 94 has the bend but the back end sits high so it's not too bad. My 97 has the bend and it hits the driveway sometimes especially if there are people in the back.

I mentioned the new Camrys to the dealer when they first came out and he said many have mentioned it and it seems the 2004s don't look as bad. They must have modified them slightly.

My opinion is they have been using the same exhaust pipe for years and didn't bother redesigning it to fit properly. It looks really bad from behind the vehicle and takes away from its appearance severely. No other vehicle I've seen has such an ugly exhaust pipe.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yup, its normal unfortunately.. They made a change in the exhaust piping for the new 97 model and its ugly and I guess they kept it the same and have no plans to change it...

Reply to
ROBMURR

thanks for the info.

now is there any performance issues if i take it to an exhaust shop and have a modification made so the hanging part gets tucked up a little better? another thing, what is that black rubber part that just kinda hangs there that i mentioned from the origional post.

mike...........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Its there to prevent resonance (annoying sound vibration) in the exaust system.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Good question, I've been always wondering about the same thing everytime I see a Camry from the rear while driving. As a Honda owner with a modified suspension system, having a flat underside to improve ground clearance is a huge issue. Also, it helps when your car is priatically floating on the snow, in the bad weather and you don't need any primitive muffler system to act a snow brake. If Toyota didn't see fit to fix such an obvisous flaw which would turn away any purist, what else did they take shot-cuts on?? Is the Camry designed to expire if exposed to hard or aggresive use? I know for a fact that Honda will remain cheap to run, even if driver is a punk kid with a chip on his shoulder, can the Camry do the same?

Pars

the

the

Reply to
Pars

Good question, I've always wondered about the same question everytime I see a Camry from the rear while driving. As a Honda owner with a modified suspension system, having a flat underside to improve ground clearance is a huge issue. Also, it helps when your car is practically floating on the snow, in the bad weather and you don't need any primitive muffler system to act as a snow brake. If Toyota didn't see fit to fix such an obvious flaw which would turn away any purist, what else did they take short-cuts on?? Is the Camry designed to expire if exposed to hard or aggressive use? I know for a fact that Honda will remain cheap to run, even if the driver is a punk kid with a chip on his shoulder, can the Camry do the same?

Pars

the

the

Reply to