Head Gasket Oil Leak on 1996 Camry

Hi all, I just bought 9 months ago a used 96 Camry. I am student and wanted something to last a few years. This was a spur of the moment purchase DON'T EVEN DO BY THE WAY, and I did not have a mechanic look at it.

I have been smelling oil after I drove the car, and decided to have it looked at. I have an oil leak from the head gasket. As far as I know it is external and has not affected any of my belts, etc. The car runs fine besides a shaking between 45-55mph. (I was told this was from a rear left wheel that is bent...ahh!!!) I was quoted $1500 for the head gasket operation.

What experiences do you all have with this?

How long do you think I can drive this without getting it fixed?

Best, Ashley

Reply to
ashcole82

Are you sure its the head gasket and not a 25$ Valve cover gasket job, most likely it is the valve cover.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is a six cylinder right?

Are you sure it's not a valve cover gasket?

That would be _much_ less costly and much easier to install. Try getting a second opinon. Check Google for "click and clack the tappet bros." website, and go to their mechanic recommendations. Just did this for my mother's Lexus that failed a smog test, and she couldn't be happier with the mechanic that had good recommendations. The first mechanic she had did not sound good to me.

If it's just an oil leak - no oil in the coolant or compression loss between cylinders, you can drive for a long time with an oil leak, just keeping the oil level up and tolerating the smell, as long as the car doesn't catch fire. :?)

Maybe if the oil is dripping directly on the exhaust, and it is the head gasket, and you don't have money to fix it, you could just periodically hit the area with some engine cleaner to minizmize fire risk.

Just be careful not to get water on electrical components which could cause new problems.

And don't feel too badly, -- lot's of people buy cars without having mechanics check them. Genereally, the '96 Camry is a very reliable car.

Reply to
Daniel

If it was the head then the coolant would be likely leaking also making oil milky and probably steam in the exuast and coolant would drop.

Reply to
m Ransley

Are you sure it isn't leaking out the side near the timing belt? I had an oil pump assembly replaced on my '96 5-spd DX coupe. 252,320 miles as I type.

Reply to
steve-o

Its extremely unlikely the oil is coming from the headgasket. Its far more likely to be coming from the rocker or valve cover gasket which is an inexpensive fix. Its relatively easy to check for yourself. The headgasket is between the alloy head and the black painted block. The valve cover is an alloy cover on top of the alloy head. You may need to get under the car (safely jacked up and then supported on stands, or run up some ramps) to inspect. It maybe coming from the rear of the engine, hence the need to get under.

The vibration can be stopped by placing the spare wheel in service in place of the bent wheel. Jack each wheel in tirn, spin the wheel to check for trueness.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If it's a 96, you might have an oil leak from the distributor coil O-ring. It's a known problem with this generation of camry - the O-ring seal (a $3 part from the dealer) tends to degrade over time, allowing oil to slowly seep.

As Jason suggested, try swapping the spare with the bent wheel, see if that helps... the '96 has a full-sized wheel for the spare, right? Make the bent wheel the spare...

Good luck,

Onehappymadman

Reply to
onehappymadman