heater system

I have an 87 Camry. the heater was not working. We checkd thermostat, and other things, they checked fine. Water flow was limited to heater core so we changed it. Now the heat only works half the time. We checked the heater valve it is working fine. However it sometimes moves without touching the temp control. So we removed the cable, and manually put it in the open postion. Heat still only works sometimes. Any suggestions.

Reply to
toyota

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the coolant has an air-pocket within the system,..not all that likely. or perhaps the tap is faulty or you have a faulty air-flap function allowing outside air to access the car's interior...

If the air-flaps (or valves) are imtermittant, you'll get intermittant heat. The heater core maybe OK, but without air to pass thru it, no heat transfer occurs.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

How did you check the thermostat, is the temp gauge in the middle. Do you have no more than 50% antifreeze. Are hoses old and maybe blocked. Is the water control valve open.

Reply to
m Ransley

We had wondered about that. How do you fix the flap? We noticed a few electronic boxes on the heater core box. Is it these? Is this something electronic or controlled by a cable?

Reply to
toyota

Yes the guage reads in the middle. A few hoses where leaking so we replaced all of them, Yes the heater valve is open. In fact when we thought that was teh problem we removed the cable and left in the open postion. Still heat only sometimes. Antifreeze was premixed 50 50 before put in.

Reply to
toyota