Help!! 85 camry timing Question

I have just replaced the timing belt on my camry, and when I start the car up it idles ok, but when I take it on the road it has hardly any power... anyway i figured out that I may not of set the crank pulley or cam pulley at the right spots...

I want to take off the timing belt reset the timing to 0 at TDC for the crankshaft and camshaft. but Im not sure of the details to perform this fix

What do I need to do to reset the timing?

Reply to
rockhard

ok well Ive realigned the crankshaft and camshaft and set the dist rotor to #1 but the car wont even start now, the engine only turns over but doesnt start. I aligned the camshaft pully is on its 0-mark with the small hole on the camshaft pulley and pointed the crank pulley mark to the 0 on the timing indicator then put the timing belt back on making sure that none of the pulleys moved

I really need to get it running and I may take it to a mechanic but that would be a waste if I could do it myself anyone know what I may have done wrong?

Reply to
rockhard

You need to spend $30 for a workshopmanual. That will tell you how to retime your engine.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Gee Jason thats what I was going to say, I cant believe anybody to be that stupid as to take on projects like this without a little proper instruction and guidance. Hey rockhard did you ever hear of TDC, buy a manual you might learn.

Reply to
m Ransley

You're saying all the right words. Are you sure you're not mistaking a casting flaw for the camshaft alignment mark? I don't remember how the Camry works, but some engines have two sets of alignment marks. One to set the belt (when the crankshaft pulley is off) and another to check it after the crankshaft pulley is installed.

Other than that, I'd make sure the rest of the system is working. It's easy to pull off a wire and not notice. So check spark and fuel delivery. Try a compression check ... if the timing belt was way off you'll get poor compression.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

ok what I just realized is that behind the cam pulley is about 4 different markings that line up with the hole on the cam pulley so I must have set it to the wrong mark

and by the way I have read a manual about the camshaft and crankshaft and everything you need to do to change a timing belt. I just need to figure out which hole is the proper marking for the camshaft

Reply to
rockhard

oops i mean there is 2 markings behind the pulley to line up with im not sure which one

Reply to
rockhard