Help: Another Zombie "Check Engine" Light.

96 Toyota Camry, 84 K Miles. Never had a problem with the infamous light. Timing Belt broke, replaced by independent mechanic. 10 min after leaving shop, Check Engine light. Code points to vacuum system. They blow it out. Twenty minutes later light is back on. Back again, same Keystone Cop routine. Thinks the vacuum line is plugged from "sitting idle".

There was never a problem before the timing belt broke, so I'm thinking the vacuum hose thing is a wild goose chase. Something must have happened in the timing belt repair. I don't want to start replacing a lot of parts that had nothing to do with the original timing belt problem.

This has _got_ to be covered in FAQ somewhere... I see many similar problems but no explanations/fixes other than Dealer Magic.

Reply to
Nelson

Give us the code you got, we'll help you out.

Reply to
qslim

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 13:37:12 -0400, qslim wrote (in article ):

The code is P0401 which they tell me indicates a problem in the vacuum system. They are blowing out hoses and talking about replacing a series of switches and valves. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but since the light came on immediately after a timing belt break and replacement, it's hard for me to believe that the problem is not related to that.

Reply to
Nelson

That is an EGR Code. See

or
. Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

That problem related to the EGR system, which is controlled both via vacuum and electronic valve actuation. This can be a tough code to diagnose because there are multiple pieces in this system that can cause insufficient gas flow. There is a very prescribed way to test it and actually determine what the root cause is without just throwing parts at it, and it makes it all the more difficult to do without Toyotas scan tool (in other words, at a place other than the dealer). Whether or not it was caused during tbelt replacement is impossible to say. The EGR system is not in any way related to the timing belt job, but whos to say what happened, you know? Hell, I was driving a customers car for a wheel vibration complaint one time several years ago, and the engine decided to blow a connecting rod out through the block while I was in it. It sure wasn't related to balancing wheels, but try telling that to the customer who now has a 3000 lb paperweight instead of a car.

Reply to
qslim