help: corolla dx wagon 95 mileage, burning oil?, squeal

just bought a used 95 corolla dx wagon, 67 k miles

need some diagnosis help:

---we've noticed the smell, burning oil? when driving, etc, no smoke or otherwise from the hood or exhaust. just got oil change and jiffy lube said the engine was 'wet' and to get it checked out sometime as there might be leaks. oil was pretty low when changed.

---20 miles/gallon on last refill, city driving and using AC.

---noticed a high pitched squealing (loud but not deafening) one time first couple minutes or so after starting up and driving slow. could be a belt? timing belt was recently replaced along w/ water pump, struts, 2 tires, air filter.

---could be more than 1 problem.... please advise? i am guessing need to check seals of engine (hopefully not a huge problem, not too costly? my wife said her old toyo had the seals fixed up for 150 $ or so..), and maybe needs a tune up (re: mileage?).

---also, our AC is running "modeately cool" only, could need a recharge?

any other suggestions?

please email james_y snipped-for-privacy@juno.com with suggestions/advice thanks, james

Reply to
James Y. Yang

wow, quite a list. sounds like the burning smell is probably oil dripping onto the exhaust from perhaps the oil pan, distributor o-ring, valve cover gaskets, or front engine seals. Check for leaks. The squealing sound may just be a belt, ensure that the alternator belt is properly tightened. The AC may need a recharge, but have the whole system inspected by a knowledgable fellow. Clear condensor/evaporator fins are a must and, if recharged, be sure to have flourescent dye injected so as to effectively detect future leaks. Cheers and good luck.

Reply to
qslim