help! no power to radio.

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry LE with radio and cassette player. I was installing a cd player my friend just gave me, but didn't disconnect the battery first. I hooked everything up, but didn't clamp the ground wires together. I just twisted them in case I had made a mistake. Naturally, they came apart and started arcing, so I disconnected everything. I clamped the wires and tried again, and got nothing. I put the old radio back in and it didn't work. For some reason there is no power getting to it. Checked the fuses in the panel by my left knee, and the driver side kick panel. They are all fine. Have not checked the fuses under the hood. Could there be another fuse somewhere? Also, my cigarette lighter stopped working when my friends tried to run two laptops off of it. The radio and the cigarette lighter have the same fuse. Not sure if these two things are related. Any ideas?

Reply to
gretsch27

The cig lighter has a fusible link that blows --- its hidden in the wire covering. It can be replaced with and inline fuse holder or a new link. Not sure how it affects the radio though. You should not have gotten a spark from a ground though unless it hit a power cable. The wires should be soldered and convered with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Ok, I figured it out. The dome light has not worked in my car since i got it. When i was going through the fuses, i noticed the one labelled "dome" was blown, and i figured that was why the light didn't work. I didn't have a spare, so i just left it. As it turns out, I blew the dome fuse when i shorted the cd player, and the dome light is out because the bulb is dead. The dome light and the memory for the cd player are on the same circuit. Replaced the fuse, and everything works... except the cigarette lighter.

Man i was really confused when i used a circuit tester and found out that there was actually power going to the cd player.

Reply to
gretsch27