Help... problems with Camry

I have a 95 Camry LE V6. Just bought the car 3 weeks ago. It has almost

217,000 K's on it and I'm finding that the transmission doesnt want to shift when going from 20 kmh to 60 kmh. Its revs all the way to 3000, drags (takes its time) then finally kicks in. When it does, you can feel the trani 'thunk'. It also sometimes does it at 80 to 100. Any ideas what that could be? Hoping the trani isnt already going... shouldnt at 217,000 K's.
Reply to
bcagirl

It might be as simple as the kickdown cable out of adjustment (too tight).

Reply to
jg

Check the power switch. It is on the facing of the transmission shifter, left hand side, maybe 10 o'clock position. It should not be pressed down. If it is, shifts will occur at higher RPM than normal.

Also - longer shot - check the overdrive button. On my 4cyl 1995 camry, the overdrive switch is on the gear shift about where your right thumb would go. Make sure it is pressed in. This really should only affect higher speed riding.

HTH, Russell

Reply to
Russell

Draining the transfluid and replacing with new --- and do again at next oil change (and maybe even the next) might help too.

Reply to
Wolfgang

You can check the trans by disconnecting the solenoid connector into the tranny and try shifting manually from 1st to 2nd with the shifter as you accelerate. If it shifts ok like that, then it may be something like a bad solenoid or speed sensor, but then you should also see a code being thrown. If it doesn't and you still seem to get a late shift putting it into 2nd manually with the shifter, then your transmission is probably going and will only get worse quickly the longer you drive it like this. As already suggested, you could try a fresh fluid drain and fill and make sure the fluid level is ok (it can be tricky to read the trans dip stick sometimes and you usually need to take several readings before and after driving the car). I think your transmission may have the PWM pressure solenoid too which may be a cause. Before anything, do check for any thrown codes with am OBDII scanner.

cheers,

davemc

Reply to
davemac