Hit 200,000 miles on 97 Camry LE!

Last week I rolled over 200,000 miles on my Camry. Its the 4 cylinder LE model. Still runs perfectly. I expect it to go to at least 250,000 maybe 300,000 miles. Anyone got higher miles on a 97? Mine was one of the first ones sold here in late 1996. Only things that have ever been a problem was:

  1. Strut tower design flaw causing noise. Drove it to 140,000 miles that way until I replaced the front struts.
  2. Clogged injector. Had my mechanic run the toyota injector cleaner thru the fuel rail and that cured it at 90,000 miles.
3 applications of Techron did nothing prior to this.
  1. Power steering rack leak at 140,000 miles. Mechanic replaced with a good rebuilt unit, no problems.
  2. Infamous puff of white smoke in the morning at 60,000 miles. Changed to Pennzoil high mileage oil, never smoked since. I have the transmission/differential and coolant changed or flushed every 30,000 miles. I change the oil and filter myself in just a few minutes with Pennzoil high mileage and Purolator filters every 3-4000 miles. Uses 1/2 quart between changes.Interior still looks new, outside a few paint chips in front. Still gets over 30mpg highway.Still a pleasure to drive it. Recently put a set of Michelin Harmony tires on it. They wear well and are very smooth and quiet. Rob
Reply to
Rob

Did you replace timing belt?

Reply to
tj

oops yes I have done normal maintenance with all belts, hoses, brakes, water pump, oil seals, etc...just the items I listed above were the only problems I have had.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have 145K on my 96 LE 4 cylinder. I know that's not much compared to some folks but I hope to get 200K, with 4 more years or so of driving.

I bought mine used at 45K in 1998. I've had a few problems but nothing major. EGR Valve, some kind of air-conditioning valve ($335), new starter and radiator. I also have the smoke puff at cold starts ever since 50K miles but I never did anything about it and it doesn't really bother me. This baby leaks some oil too (about a half a quart every 3 to 5,ooo miles.)

I've done most regular maintenance, but I only change the oil every 5 to

6K. -It runs good.

My wife just bought a new '05 XLE (in the metalic tan color with all options). What a beauty and it feels really solid even compared to my '96 model.

Reply to
Joe V