How do I replace Camry hood struts?

My son has a 1993 Camry and we need to replace the little gas struts that hold up the hood. I can buy replacement struts at Pep Boys, but I'm concerned about whether the non-Toyota struts will adapt.

I can't see how to remove the existing Toyota strut from the bottom bracket that is bolted to the car body. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,

-Al

Reply to
Al Cunniff

View Illustration at

IceMan

From Haynes Repair manual:

1- Grasp the upper end of the strut securely and pull out sharply to detach it from the ballstud. 2- Remove the bolt from the lower end and remove the strut. 3- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

IceMan