How Fast Will the 2007 V6 go?

Has anyone opened up to what the new Camry will do.

qq

Reply to
qq

fast enough to earn you a very serious ticket.

Reply to
mack

C'mon! No one has opened it up, yet? I've done my '07 SE with the four-cylnder once, and if I had had a longer stretch I think I may have gotten a little more out of it, but I got 105 out of mine.....I too, am curious what it will do for top end--I've read that it can pop off a

0-60 in 6.2 seconds.....This car is going to be run in NASCAR this coming season! Someone has to have had the gumption to see what the 268 ponies can do.......At the very least, maybe one of the automobile mags will run a comparison of the Fusion vs. Monte Carlo vs. Charger vs. Camry, just for the fun of it......

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

I think that in the U.S. the limiting factor is the computer setting that is a de facto governor. The exact maximum speed is determined by a mechanic or production line worker keying in numbers to the car's computer before the car is sold or released from production? Intended maximums are very close to 100 MPH. Stopping distances at that speed are more than most of us can deal with. Even slowing down to manageable speeds is difficult. Forget those distance tables. On the street or freeway there is not enough room, the driver cannot really see far enough even if he is trying, other drivers do things all the time that will be mutually fatal without knowing or caring. Or at least not until they are getting angry at you while standing in line at the Pearly Gates.

Tire rotational design speeds are not up to it either. Some tires are only intended for 50 to 70 MPH and then only for short periods of time. Better highway tires are designed for maybe 110 cruise (maximum) but that is pressing your luck. Some tires really are intended for extreme speeds but are Very Expensive and there are other trade-offs. The tire dealer has charts for the designations molded into the sidewall of the tire. And the designations can be found on the web.

I have heard stories from military guys, orig> C'mon! No one has opened it up, yet? I've done my '07 SE with the

Reply to
Charlie

You take all the fun out of the original question! Unfortunately, you are right--wrecks during NASCAR races are ugly, and they are intended to survive high speed mishaps. Not having a cage surrounding you and seats/belts that make you one with that cage, leaves a huge roadside mess.......

Reply to
Stan Wright

I have an 07 v6. Just trust me when I tell you it will go faster than you ever need to go. I've driven Toyotas for years now and have generally had 4's. The I4 in the 07 Camry in my mind is just too much of a weight to power compromise at sea level and likely even more underpowered at altitude. The v6 is overkill, but I understand it costs less to build than the 3.3. Barely any substantial difference in mileage. For the little it costs extra, get the v6 and go easy on the reostat at your toe. (Accelerator is electric).

Reply to
Gary

Hey, I didn't want anyone going out and killing themselves just to satisfy my curiosity. So far, my number is 150 k/hr. I have about 9,000 kilometers on my LE V6 and I just love the car. Its the first Toyota I have owned and I am glad I bought it. I turned 68 last month and I am sort of past the "lets go out and open her up" stage, but I am curious that if anyone else had decided to live dangerously, they could share their experience with us poor old farts who have more memories than guts, meaning, I remember doing those things but I now longer have the guts to do it. I was showing a buddy my new car and I must admit, that off the light, it will get up to 150 clicks rather quickly,, but that's as far as I dared go on that piece of road. The legal speed limit in Alberta is usually 110 k and at that speed my little old V6 is ticking over at about 2000 rpm and is real happy. I guess that is why I am getting 28 mpg in city driving and my best so far is 37 mpg on the highway, but more often its 36 hiway and that's good enough for me. Those miles are based on the imperial gallon. Toyota claims 40 mpg and I suppose at 100 clicks and no air, you could make that easy.

As for the V6 versus the 4cy argument, I would take the 6 everytime, especially for hiway driving. It just doesn't have to work as hard and I think will give you a lot more miles over the life of the car and the gas milage is about the same. Of course, if your very heavy footed when driving in the city then those horses want to be fed and all bets are off.

Looks like I am the first to give a number.

qq

"qq" wrote in message news:9Hd3h.255700$1T2.52496@pd7urf2no...

Reply to
qq

My apologies to Stan, he was the first to give a number, never caught it until I had already posted the previous message.

qq

Reply to
qq

No apologies necessary. Still haven't seen many postings on this......Guess the Camry enthusiasts here are rather staid and use their cars for transportation, not fun. Then again, most people don't get a Camry to drive fast in.....

Stan

Reply to
Stan Wright

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Stan Wright) who stated:

That's correct.

My Camry is an '05 SE, so it performs pretty well -- but only for a Camry.

For fast I prefer my BMW; the one with the right number of wheels for fun: TWO!

-Don (riding his R1100S until the snow comes and stays)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Had my 07 Sportivo (SE) 4 Cyl manual to 210kph (130Mph) That is the Australian model.

Mat

Reply to
Me

I find that a little surprising. The 4 cylinder engines are fine donks,..but ultimately power to weight ratio is the determining factor, and the later Camrys have put on a little weight. Was this on a flat long road ?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Top speed is only slightly dependent on weight. The limiting factor for top speed is aerodynamic drag (given correct gearing). Weight affects acceleration strongly, so a heavier car might take a longer time to reach its top speed, but it will probably reach the same top speed as a similar car with the same drag, but less weight. I actually owned one car that was faster loaded than empty. When it was loaded, the car sat down further on the suspension, and this improved the aerodynamics enough to let it go faster. I have also owned a couple of cars that reached top speed in a gear lower than top gear. My 1981 Audi Coupe was faster in 4th than 5th. My 1986 Sable was faster in fourth than third (automatic), IF you could actually to get it to shift into fourth. You had to have the car floored for top speed, and it tended to stay in third. If you let up to have it shift to fourth, it slowed down slightly and the rpm dropped below the power peak and when you tried to accelerate in fourth, it would kick back down to third. If you had a nice gradual hill you could get it in fourth, at the power peak and actually accelerate a little more on level ground.

The current Camry has decent aerodynamics and the four has decent power. 130 seems to be pushing what I would think was possible, but I suppose it is doable. In the US, I would have thought the top speed was limited by the engine's computer, however, Car and Driver tested a V-6 Camry and they estimated the top speed was 135 mph and was drag limited.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

====================================================== Darn those emission regulations: ) The 2AZ-FE is 160Hp in other countries but only 155Hp in California.

Reply to
EdV

T-rated tires go up to 118MPH and H-rated to 130MPH. So the car wasn't designed to go any faster with the stock brakes, tires, and suspension system (but the engine might handle it). Subtract some safety margin probably 90-110 MPH max. Ceramic brakes are great for normal driving but it's pushing it for more than typical highway speeds. Carbon metallic is the norm above that.

The engine can be pushed higher no doubt but definitely not safe or sustainable like a VR6 equipped VW on the German Autobahn. Pay a few dollars to local race tracks on 1/4 mile nights and see how fast it'll go. They'll time and clock it for you.

Reply to
johngdole

Yes I agree with your statement. Whether the new 4 cylinder engine is geared to allow 130mph? Haven't tested a 5SFE, butit went to 140kph easily enough (manual 5 spd) At

60mph in 4th its doing 3000rpm, in 5th about 2600. At 130 mph it'b doing theoreticaly near 6000. You need the breathing and fuel metering to match etc etc

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

======================================================== before that, be sure your insurance is paid on time.

Reply to
EdV

Actually, I don't know of any insurance company that will pay for racing related claims. ;)

EdV wrote:

Reply to
johngdole