how many pounds should I inflate tires on a '90 Camry?

I think it depends. 4 cyl, 6 cyl, wagon, AllTrac, tire size?

It's best to look at the decal affixed to the door pillar. Either > 28 or 32?

Reply to
johngdole

4 cyl
Reply to
Joe

Joe opin'd thus:

You could split the difference and inflate them to 30.

Or how about 28-29-30-31-32? (Including the spare)

Or -- here's a novel idea -- look in the owner's manual and do what IT says!

Reply to
Don Fearn

is that Clockwise or counterCW? :)

On the driver side door there's a label anyway for tire pressure, if you want MPG but a bumpy ride you can go for 5-6 psi higher. Personally I use the 31-32 range which is (1-2psi) slightly higher than recommended. Works for me.

Reply to
EdV

Thanks. I know the door says 30psi but I've noticed that some shops that I take my car have inflated the tires to 28 and others to 32. Just wondering if there was any benefit to either and you answered my question.

Reply to
Joe

I have mine set up for 'stagger', like a race car. The pass side are 40 lbs, and the drivers side are 32.

I just have to make sure I turn left all the time, just like the Big Guys... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

== Probably 28. I run my '94 4 cyl. at 28 front and 26 rear. Used to run a bit higher in front, but was wearing out the center of the tread. Try using a tread depth gauge on new tires to check. I rotate the tires at 5k miles. Owner's manual shows 26 all around as recommended with 29 all around optional and required for 4+ passengers and luggage.

26 OK per manaul for 1-4 people without luggage, but I found that setting too soft. Your '90 4 cyl. is a bit lighter so those tires don't actually require a lot of pressure to properly carry the required load, and achieve best ride and handling.
Reply to
Daniel

Now I'm confused again. What would you recommend for someone who travels almost entirely alone with no luggage. I'm looking for optimal gas mileage.

Reply to
Joe

Ok, then it's like later models, 30psi for 185/60-R14.

I personally go for 32 psi on all four and fill up again at 30 psi (cold tire pressure on level ground). But you know this is against Michelin recommendations (see URL and below). ;)

Buy a dial pressure gauge at Sears for about $5, not a pencil type gauge. Under no circumstance should you go above the tire's rated max pressure (typically 35 psi.)

For better mileage, I'd recommend Michelin X-Radial Plus series of tires from Costco (they fill with nitrogen too and give you road hazard fixes and lifetime balance and rotation across the nation at a competitive price). This is a "green" rated tire that has low rolling resistance. It can provide up to 3% fuel advantage to non-green tires, but some street rodders do complain of not enough grab on the road. For me they are fine.

However, properly inflating the tires can contribute 10% easily compared to an under-inflated tire. But don't over-inflate either!

Michelin web site:

"Recommended Pressure Always inflate your tires to the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle's manufacturer. This information can be found in the owner's manual and often on a placard located in the vehicle's door jamb, inside the fuel hatch, or on the glove compartment door."

Reply to
johngdole

== Just use the manufacturer's maximum recommended pressure. In my owner's manual for the 4 cyl. with 14" tires and a 70 series aspect ratio that was 29 front and rear. I just found that wore the tire center a bit more and resulted in an unacceptably harsh ride quality, but it would give you the best mileage. I found that if I went higher still like 32 the handling really suffered to the point of becoming unstable in extreme manuevers.

Check the book. Your 1990 might be somewhat different. Again for me, 28 front and 26 rear worked best, and mileage is fine. If you never go around corners, or brake in poor road conditions, you can increase mileage with harder tires and higher pressure, but all published recommendations tell you to use the manufacturer's recommendation for your vehicle.

Reply to
Daniel

Daniel wrote: for me, 28 front and 26 rear worked best, and mileage is fine. == One more thing. I check the tire pressure every Saturday morning.

you check the tires less frequently, you might want to add a couplemore pounds.

Reply to
Daniel

For best fuel economy, go about 5 psi below the maximum listed on the tires. The ride will be more harsh, but you can get another 2-3mpg that way, if you are currently running at or below 30psi.

Reply to
mjc1