how to clean an idle air control valve?

Threaded View

My '96 camry stalled again when making a left turn.  Last time it
stalled was about a month ago, I then cleaned the throttle body valve
with toyota throttle body valve cleaner, both sides of the valve, and
with a toothbrush.  I thought that would have solved the problem.

My next suspect is the idle air control valve.  What is the correct way
to clean this out?  My Haynes manual discusses removal and electrical
testing of the IAC valve, but not cleaning.  I read somewhere on this
group that the IAC valve can be cleaned by spraying carburetor cleaner
into the rectangular duct just outside of the throttle body valve
(lower-right side), while the engine is running.  Is this procedure
recommended?  Or is there another way?

Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

Probably should have waited for a reply first, but the idea sounded
like a good one, so I went ahead and did it.  (Got the fire
extinguisher ready, just in case spraying a flammable chemical on a hot
engine did something... flammable.)

What an experience.  A great sucking sound could be heard (I'd removed
the air intake hose), and the engine sounded like it was going to stall
each time I sprayed carburetor cleaner into the rectangular hole just
inside the throttle body.  I sprayed a total of three times.  Then I
shut down the engine, re-attached the air intake hose, and drove the
car around the block.  So far so good.  I'll have to wait about a month
to see if this did the trick...

Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

If the symptoms return, try TriFlow next time - helps lubricate to
avoid sticking now that you've cleaned it.

Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

Maybe I should add the TriFlow now, to prevent sticking now that I've
cleaned it?

Is this the product?
http://www.trisports.com/trifsupluboz2.html

Where do you buy it?  Target?  Pep Boys?  Bicycle shops only?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

Motorcycle shops used to sell it as well.
davidj92

Re: how to clean an idle air control valve?

Yes. that's it.
bicycle shops carry it
I find it at the local Do-It Center

Site Timeline