how to clean an idle air control valve?

My '96 camry stalled again when making a left turn. Last time it stalled was about a month ago, I then cleaned the throttle body valve with toyota throttle body valve cleaner, both sides of the valve, and with a toothbrush. I thought that would have solved the problem.

My next suspect is the idle air control valve. What is the correct way to clean this out? My Haynes manual discusses removal and electrical testing of the IAC valve, but not cleaning. I read somewhere on this group that the IAC valve can be cleaned by spraying carburetor cleaner into the rectangular duct just outside of the throttle body valve (lower-right side), while the engine is running. Is this procedure recommended? Or is there another way?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Probably should have waited for a reply first, but the idea sounded like a good one, so I went ahead and did it. (Got the fire extinguisher ready, just in case spraying a flammable chemical on a hot engine did something... flammable.)

What an experience. A great sucking sound could be heard (I'd removed the air intake hose), and the engine sounded like it was going to stall each time I sprayed carburetor cleaner into the rectangular hole just inside the throttle body. I sprayed a total of three times. Then I shut down the engine, re-attached the air intake hose, and drove the car around the block. So far so good. I'll have to wait about a month to see if this did the trick...

Reply to
onehappymadman

If the symptoms return, try TriFlow next time - helps lubricate to avoid sticking now that you've cleaned it.

Reply to
Daniel

Maybe I should add the TriFlow now, to prevent sticking now that I've cleaned it?

Is this the product?

Where do you buy it? Target? Pep Boys? Bicycle shops only?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
onehappymadman

Motorcycle shops used to sell it as well. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Yes. that's it. bicycle shops carry it I find it at the local Do-It Center

Reply to
Daniel