How to diagnosis the front engine mount?

Hi, I have a Toyota Camry, 95, 210Km, 4 cyn, automatic. I recently find there is an obvious lateral vibration, especially at startup and stop. I can feel the steering wheel vibrating lateral severely then. Based on browse search, I find the dogbone is broken. Someone suggests the engine front mount may also need replacement. I have driven for about

500 Km highway, 200Km city driving since that syndrome. I don't know whether the front mount is damaged with that driving. My question is: how to diagnosis the front engine mount (which is near radiator). There is a rubber cap right cover the mount. Could you help me about that? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
fl

While you're waiting for a tech to give you a more detailed answer, I'll contribute thsi: if the engine mounts are original, you can pretty much count on them all being worn out. This is a known issue with this series Camry. If the mounts have been replaced, check to see if the radiator hoses have stiffened with age - they can transmit too much vibration when they get hard.

Reply to
mjc1

try this-when you turn hard does the power get weird... Those were the symptoms on my wives camry and it was the engine mounts..When you would turn hard--you would lose some power..

Reply to
M.Balarama

The engine needs to be raised slightly to take the weight off the mounts. Typically a block of wood between a floor jack and the oil pan is what the shade tree mechanic uses.

Check the front and rear mounts then for cracks, hardening, and separation. Replace as necessary. Some people shift from neutral to drive/reverse and look for excessive engine movement. Also check the transmission mount.

In addition to engine mounts, also check the harmonic balancer pulley. The rubber may have deterioated. Of course we assume the engine is well tuned and working properly, etc.

There are a few words on engine mounts in the engine removal section on the free online repair guide:

johngdole