How to maintain my car?

I'm also thinking about doing the most basic maintenance by myself. I'm very foreign to cars, but I'm willing to learn.

First, where do I get these things: the manual tells me to get engine oil with labels "API Service SJ" or "SAE 10W-30", Ethylene-glycol type Engine Coolant, brake fluid with label "SAE J 1703" or "FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3", and automatic transmission fluid DEXRON II or III for power steering fluid. Give a chain store name if you can.

Second, I don't know what kind of fluid my car has right now, so when bought the new ones, can I just add, or better drain the old fluids and then add?

I'll probably leave oil change to the shop as it's too messy and I'll have to go to a shop to recycle the oil anyway.

Reply to
7days

Cars are touchy in general. Best advice is if you don't know what your doing, then take it to a professional.

Oil: Most oil at your local walmart or auto parts store meets or exceeds your manufactures recommendations. Nearly every new toyota requires 5w30 all year around.

Transmission: Get this from the dealer. Most newer toyota's require tiv fluid and unless you have the additive to turn dextron 3 into tiv, you shouldn't add regular dextron 3.

Brake fluid: Any dot 3 brake fluid will suffice. Do not add to the brake fluid unless the fluid level is below the "min" mark. Low brake fluid can be an indication of brake pad wear or a leak in the brake system.

Power steering: You can use most any power steering brand that is manufactured for regular vehicles. Most Toyota's allow Dextron transmission fluid (use dex 3) as subsitutes.

Antifreeze: Get this from the dealer only. Toyota Radiators are very touchy!

Service the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. Some people will tell you to use synthetic and go 5,000 miles....don't. I have seen first hand what extended oil change intervals do to vehicles. Even if the oil says it lasts 5,000 miles, the oil filter only lasts 3,000 miles. Toyota engines have slugging problems and require regular oil changes.

Service the transmission every 2 yrs or 30,000 miles. I know the automatic dipstick says something like every 90k but thats for normal driving conditions. Unless you drive on flat planes and your planet has no dirt, traffic, or inclement weather, you don't drive in normal conditions. Servicing the trans every 30k will keep the dirt in the trans from building and ultimately extend the life of the trans.

Change the antifreeze every 2 years or 30k. DO NOT neglect the antifreeze. Neglecting the antifreeze could result in engine overheating, engine freezing, loss of heat, leaks, and costly engine repairs or total engine destruction.

Hope this info helped!

Reply to
justinm930

I would't add Dexron III, with our without the proper modifiers.

It is the number 1 cause of the infamous Chrysler tranny failures. When Chrysler says ATF+3 or +$, they MEAN ATF+3 or 4!

Why risk it? Get the real deal.

Oh, and Jiffy lube, Et Al? They use 'friction modified' Dexron, esp when they do tranny flushes. Now, this isn't Toyota's advice, but I'm sure it's close: A Chrysler rep when I was working for a multi-line dealer told me...If it says +3 or +4, USE +3 or +4!!

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

------- Just start reading. There are lots of books available. Adult school courses. Library. Bookstore. etc. If you develop an interest, it can be fun and rewarding. Just remember to take your time, be careful, and be safe. Best procedure is to acquire the tools and information some time before beginning the work so you can visualize the process before starting.

Reply to
Daniel

We have a 95 camry coming up 300,000 miles. We change oil every 6000 miles. engine runs perfect never needed anything. 3000 mile changes are for cars from 50's

Reply to
zonie

You are a lying SOB.

Reply to
Sharx35

I agree. I think smart blend additives are a bunch of hype and will not suffice. Do realize, however, that if the friction modifier claims to meet the vehicle manufacturers specs., then its on them if the tranny goes due to improper fluid application.

Reply to
justinm930

Say what you want. Anybody who changes their oil more than the car makers 'severe service' schedule is wasting money and resources. I think I would trust the engineers that designed and built the car way more than you. Not that you would care, But in England, Toyota also sells the Camry. Same car same engine just right hand drive, oil change there is 2yr 20,000 miles. Maybe their oil is better. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Changing the oil is a simple job and a good way to learn about doing maintenance. Not all that messy if you buy a combo drain pan used oil storage unit ( bought the new ones, can I just add, or better drain the old fluids

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not only better, but for that millage it HAS to be fully synthetic. But 20k still sounds much too much.

Reply to
Pszemol

Synthetic oils do well for more than 5000 miles, more like 10000.

What is the way the dirt from your "planet" goes into the transmission?

90k is for normal driving conditions which are defined in your user manual you got with the car: usually towing and very short trips (
Reply to
Pszemol