How to measure antifreeze colant strength

I drive my Camry (2005) in cold winters (Ontario-Canada) and would like to check my antifreeze coolant freezing temperature. Any recommendations on how to go about it?

Reply to
Wes

check my antifreeze coolant freezing temperature. Any recommendations on how to go about it?

Get an antifreeze tester. They are not expensive. They have a squeeze bulb at the top and a tube at the bottom. You draw coolant from the radiator through the tube and observe how many balls float in the window to determine antifreeze strength. (They are basically specific gravity testers.) Drain and adjust as necessary.

They won't tell you whether the additive package (for anticorrosion and lubrication) is any good. Best to change it when recommended for that.

HTH.

Reply to
JRE

check my antifreeze coolant freezing temperature. Any recommendations on how to go about it?

Thanks for the info. Bought Prestone coolant tester, and measured the coolant freezing temerature. As expected, the result show very low temperature. Tested with regular water ant it indicated correct freezing temperature.

Reply to
Wes