Hub assembly removal-'89 Camry

Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved to remove the hub on the front left wheel (2wd, 4 cyl.) of an '89 Camry? Any website info available? I want to make sure the bearings are set in correctly and check wear on the hub.

thanks.

pete

Reply to
Pete Giordano

Haynes and factory service manual show procedure. remove sway bar link, tie rod end, ball joint, and strut bolts but . . . the bearings are pressed into the hub, and everything I've seen says replacement is not fecommended for the home mechanic. So if you get the hub off, and are able to do anything useful with the bearings, please report back. Just had the hub semi removed couple days ago changing the right side axle and the bearings are definitely a press fit. Nothing like the old assembly where it is easy to repack the wheel bearings.

Reply to
Daniel

Well I just worked on a 90s something Corolla and a Camry should be similar. You first remove knuckle from car. Take off wheel, hang caliper to strut, disconnect steering ball joint and lower ball joint, then push in axle while pulling out on knuckle and then unbolt knuckle from strut, make mark if excentric bolt so alignment not spoiled. Once you have knuckle out put in vise, then hammer out hub from back of knuckle using pipe to hit hub shaft, this step will probably damage bearing but as you will change anyway. Then inner inner race and bearings will fall out. Then snap ring holding outer race needs to be removed from knuckle. Then from outside knuckle you must whack with hammer or use press and find suitable pipe to just fit inner bearing lip of outer race or other piece of suitably shaped round steel. And knuckle must be properly supported.with right size pipe. Then you pound with big hammer or press out outer race. Then you must push in new bearing by pounding or pressing on outer race. dont forget to put back grease seals. you can grind the outer surface of the old outer race to use to pound in new bearing. watch out as ball bearings will fall out in this step. Then when outer bearing is pushed in all way then put in inner race and bearings and turn knuckle over and support inner race with pipe of right diameter and push in hub, then put back in snap ring and inner grease seal and push in a little extra grease and put back knuckle in car. It is rather difficult and we are working in a shop. hardest part is finding the right size pipe.

Reply to
edmechanic