hybrid gas mileage

It is my understanding that the Camry Hybrid should be able to get 38MPG in the city and 40MPG on the highway. Right now, according to one of the displays on the instrument panel, the average I am getting is 32.5. Is there anything I can do to get the gas mileage closer to what it should be?

Reply to
Charlie Brookhart

EPA figures are exaggerated for all cars. Camry Hybrid just got Motortrend car of the year. I don't subscribe but my dentist does. Article said they got 38 on highway and were happy with that. 32 in city with accessories on is probably great.

Reply to
Art

I think the 38 MPG figure depends on bloody-minded driving with fuel economy in mind - very gradual starts that don't engage the internal combustion engine and slowing down well in advance for traffic lights such that you don't need to stop (because they have turned green before you get there.) In short, you have to drive like the accelerator pedal is radioactive.

Government MPG figures are derived from a highly artificial test cycle that doesn't reflect most people's driving - the figures are only good for comparing different cars. The US government has just finished revising its test cycle to reflect more closely normal driving habits, and they are warning that, for example, cars tested at 30 MPG this year may only score 25 under the new test.

One thing you can do that makes a big difference to your mileage is make sure your tires are pumped up to the recommended pressure. Don't depend on the new warning system for this - buy a good analogue gauge and use it every couple of weeks. (I got mine from getagauge.com .)

Me, I'm waiting for someone to sell a diesel hybrid here in Canada.

Reply to
Nobody Important

You can appeal to the epa to get real , or drive it at 70f in moderate driving and slowly

Reply to
m Ransley

The problem isn't that you can't get the EPA-estimated mileage. I do it all the time. The problem is that most people these days drive under different conditions than the EPA uses to estimate. Some are 'external', like heavier traffic that causes more low-speed and stop and go driving. Others are the fault of drivers, like always driving 70 in a 55 speed zone. Don't confuse 'unrealistic' with "impossible."

Reply to
mj

Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic will raise mpg, after a change I notice 2-3 mpg more for apx 2000 miles , as the oil gets old and thickens it gets less. Mobil synthetic in the trans, differential and power steering help. But

1st winter cold, winter gas formulations and short trips cut my milage by 25% or more. If you are driving in easy traffic it could be something else the dealer should check. Since its a new car the odds are low but things like dragging brakes, timing being off do affect older cars. Winter gas formulations do give worse milage. On some cars the defrost turns on the AC compressor that will lower milage. Try Mobil 1, get it looked at, check tire pressure. In city driving my old camry get 20-23, on highway city mix 26-28, highway 32-36, Maybe your 32.5 is good for your type of driving when comparing to a non hybrid.
Reply to
m Ransley

Haha I like that, I do that too but there are alot of people in a hurry in souther california and you'll get the honk if you drive like that. In the future, will it hybrids? hydrogen? or electric cars... but this is another topic

Reply to
EdV

Motion seconded. I am a synthetic oil user and it does make a difference.

Reply to
Bassplayer12