I got locked out of my Camry

I have to change the battery cable clamp of my 99 Camry, but I stupidly closed the hood with the battery cable off and I'm not able to get into the car. Is there a emergency hood release for this model? If not, the only thing I can think of is to take a pry bar to the rear seats through the trunk. Any suggestions as to where I have to pry to bust the latch? Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Iwaoka

MAYBE try the key on the driver's side door!!!!!!

Reply to
Goat

I don't really understand why you can't get into the car - the locks are primarily mechanical ones; they don't depend on having power from the battery. Just put the key in and twist!

If you locked the keys in the car, any tow truck driver can open the door for you.

Reply to
Nobody Important

It seems the 99 Camry keys operate a solenoid to the locks and there's no mechanical connection at all. I'll try it again as I really wish I'm wrong about this.

Reply to
David Iwaoka

That's a very interesting idea.

Reply to
David Iwaoka

I guess my question should have been "is there an emergency hood release on this car?" The info might be in the manual but that's in the car. :-)

David

David Iwaoka wrote:

Reply to
David Iwaoka

So the key doesn't unlock the doors and trunk when the batteries are dead? You have a 99 camry and when was the last time you used your key to unlock the door? your keyhole might be only stuck with dirt due to the long period of time, try spraying the hole with some WD40. I've never seen solenoids on locks.

Reply to
EdV

You are not the first one with a lost or broken keyfob to forget that you can use the key (the old fashioned way).

Reply to
Mark A

The keyholes in the door are in reality just switches that activate the solenoids. The trunk is your standard lock - there's no problem with getting into the trunk.

Reply to
David Iwaoka

I don't like those electronic key thingies - I prefer to use the key the old fashioned way. If you have one of these cars you could probably verify that there's no mechanical connection by simply opening the locks

- you should notice that you're working against a spring rather that pushing/pulling a lever.

Reply to
David Iwaoka

Are you trolling? There is a solid mechanical linkage between the key and the lock mechanism. You can feel it distinctly. Yes, in addition to this there is a switch that activates the solenoids if you turn the key twice, but this is not the primary mode of operation.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Nobody Important has it right. My 99 Camry's door locks are primary mechanically linked. Solenoids are secondary.

Reply to
sharx35

Oddly enough, my wife told me that one of the doors were unlocked so I think that you (and everyone else) was right and I was completely off-base - I'm very happy that I was wrong and the car has been fixed and it's running like a top. Sorry for all the commotion. I did call the dealer and they did tell me that I would not be able to get in and the only option I had was to break a window. Go figure.

I think the dealer and I are probably not the smartest dudes around but I must say the car has been a surprise to me. Everything seems to be well thought out and if even fits my weird body. The car comes out short in the cup holder department but everything else seems to be dead on.

Thanks for all your responses.

David

Reply to
David Iwaoka

Weird body? Care to elabourate?

Reply to
sharx35

You might say I'm built like a knuckle dragging monkey - I'm well suited to driving Fiats but the Camry fits me well too - I don't know how they did it. Thanks for your interest in my body - I appreciate it. :-)

Reply to
David Iwaoka

Let me understand - so you never tried the key in the door lock but went staight to the phone to call your dealer ? I was sure that you tried your keys in the door and locks failed. The story does not hold...

Reply to
Pszemol

I believe it. After using the keyfob for many years, I think a lot of people forget that they can use their key to open the door.

Reply to
Mark A

Truckdude and Joebedroom already have dibs on your virgin ass.

Reply to
sharx35

I find that VERY scary. Those people still get to vote, yes?

Reply to
sharx35

That's an interesting comment. Sorry for your confusion. I closed the hood with the battery disconnected. I used the key on the lock as I don't use those push button things and find it easier to use the key. The idea that people would think I did not use the key never occurred to me. The key did not unlock the door. About an hour later I called the dealer who recommended that I have the car towed in. I though that was goofy so that's how I posted here. All I know is my wife called me in the afternoon and said the passenger's door was open (which I did not try!) and I went home and connected the battery and drove to Sam's club and replaced the battery. I don't really care why I was unable to open the door - I assume is that it was my stupidity. The truth is the problem is fixed and it's probably best to not dwell on this. However, I try to be as helpful as possible so let me know if there's anything else about the sequence of events that are unclear to you.

The funny thing is that my original question was if there was an emergency hood release but I failed to make this explicit enough. :-)

David

Reply to
David Iwaoka