Inspecting the timing belt ??

After hearing conflicting advice about replacing the timing belt, I called Toyota's customer service center. They told me that, since I was using schedule B (easy driving), the timing belt should be inspected at 60,000 miles (or 72 months) and every 6 months after. It should be replaced only if it shows wear. So my question is, How do I inspect the timing belt? If it's hard to inspect the timing belt, can I get an idea of its condition by looking at the fan belt? (If they're made of the same material, would they wear at about the same rate?) The background: 1990 Camry 4-cylinder, 67,000 miles. The owner's manual says to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles for schedule A (and only if driven frequently at low speed or idling a lot). For schedule B, the timing belt isn't mentioned. But I've heard many people say it should be replaced, some say at 60K, some at 75K, some at 90K. Don't reply by email, as I am disabling this email address now. BK

Reply to
BK

Well I replaced the timing belt on my wifes 98 at 68,000 and you could not tell it from the brand new one. Not even a craze in the rubber. It was perfect. And thats after many miles of her hot rodding around the country side in Alabama where it gets pretty darn hot. Lots of fast stop and go. I think they just want to ensure belt sales are kept at a premium. Visit my website:

Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

In my lifetime, I've had two timing belts fail. In both cases the failed belt looked good except for the obvious damage (in one case it broke in two, in the other several teeth were missing in one area). I don't believe you can reasonably determine the condition of the belt my looking at it on the vehicle. You might be able to determine it needs replacing if it looks especially bad, but I can't see that a good looking belt is a gaurantee that it is still good. As long as the faiure of the belt doesn't wreck the engine, then letting it go is not that bad (if you don't mind the inconvenience of having the vehicle towed).

Ed

Roy wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Interesting, My 1995 CAMRY 2.2ltr 64K miles is booked in next Tuesday to have the belt replaced.

Cost here at TOYOTA dealer is £157.00 that's $298. The other local TOYOTA dealer quoted £240 that's $456. For the same job.

Out of interest what's the going rate in USA.

I used to run TOYOTA MR2s...I had reason to check up with Toyota Technical about the belt replacement on that. And was told it was a "fit and forget" item.

It that because of different material or what.? Just wondered.

Have a nice day.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin G3LIV.

Ed: An observation I've made: Take a well used, high mileage belt and drop it on the concrete so that it lands on one contiguous edge. The sound it makes is a hard, sharp "clack." Do the same with a new belt and you get a dulled "thud." I agree with you that "work-hardening" is not visible.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com, C. E. White being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

Your belt is 14 years old -- its rubber based so is probably dried out from age and engine heat regardless of mileage. Replace it if you are planning a trip of any great lenth - let it go if you don't mind being stranded and having to walk or have it towed.

Reply to
Wolfgang

had my 97 corolla changed at 62000. also had all belts changed at the same time sence they were the original ones (3 of them not counting the timming belt) plus an oil and filter change. total cost 197.00. now ready for another 60000 miles. now i dont have to worry. called peace of mind. see toyota dealers dont always try to rip you off.

Reply to
Dave Ddd

the

of

$197 for all that? Sheesh, my old 4 cyl Honda's belt cost more than that -- plus labour.

I have a 6 cyl Camry now ('99) with 70K on it, I think it's rated for

90K before changing on the 6 cyl. Is it true that the 6 cyl is a non-interference engine? That's what I was told (as opposed to my '94 Maxima), if so, I don't mind being towed to the dealer or wherever when it breaks as I hardly ever drive out of the city. That's what the auto club is for.
Reply to
Father Guido

You got 14 years on that belt! I would change it and all the rubber seals on that side of the engine while the timing belt is off. A check of the water pump is in order as well as any oil leaks from the oil pump shaft seal and the seal from the block to the oil pump. Your other belts are 14 years old I would change them too. All this is cheap insurance so you dont get stranded..

Reply to
ROBMURR

The last time I saw a coupon for timing belt, it was like USD $120. So $197 (I assume US dollars) is reasonable. The Brits are paying twice what we are paying!

If you need water pump and idlers, then the price can go way up.

Reply to
John

=_NextPart_000_001C_01C3FBCF.2AB0AE90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I found a really cool site: =

You might find what you're looking for there.

--

  "BK" <3vn5l9b02@sneakemail.com>=
 wrote=20
  in message news:383d8f=
ee.0402241253.1b5d250c@posting.google.com...After=20
  hearing conflicting advice about replacing the timing belt, =
Icalled=20
  Toyota's customer service center. They told me that, since Iwas =
using=20
  schedule B (easy driving), the timing belt should beinspected at =
60,000=20
  miles (or 72 months) and every 6 months after. Itshould be =
replaced only=20
  if it shows wear. So my question is, How do Iinspect the timing=20
  belt? If it's hard to inspect the timing belt, can I get =
an idea=20
  of itscondition by looking at the fan belt? (If they're made of =
the=20
  samematerial, would they wear at about the same =
rate?) The=20
  background: 1990 Camry 4-cylinder, 67,000 miles. The owner'smanual =
says to=20
  replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles for schedule A(and only if =
driven=20
  frequently at low speed or idling a lot). Forschedule B, the =
timing belt=20
  isn't mentioned. But I've heard manypeople say it should be =
replaced, some=20
  say at 60K, some at 75K, someat 90K. Don't reply by =
email, as=20
  I am disabling this email address now.=20
 BK

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C3FBCF.2AB0AE90--
Reply to
FORY

Nice Site, But they don't cover a heater core replacement either. Man this is a tough crowd.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®