ipod connection

I have a question on connecting an ipod to the factory radio. In the brochures that I have seen, it looks like there is an ipod sitting in a cradle just behind the gear shift. Reading through the brochure, I understand that ipod connection is made with a 12 volt power cord.

When I search online for toyota camry ipod connections, I am getting results that show a $100+ accessory to connect the ipod. Is there something more than what is shown in the picture in the brochure? Do I just need the power cord? Where would I get it from?

Reply to
Charlie Brookhart

Depending on the Head Unit (Scions come with Pioneer HU's) there is a connector on the back of the radio where the iPod connector option connects to.

PIE makes a Toyota Interface for about $75, you have to pull the radio and connect the interface. It will allow you to plug in an iPod, XM, Sirius, External CD, etc. It uses standard jacks and adapters. Google it to find it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Charlie Brookhart

Aha! I believe you found the Magic Button! I know on the Scions from 2006 onward, there is a jack in the console that you can plug an AUX audio source into. I have a 2005 :( Yes, if the jack is already there, go to Radio Shack, Wal*Mart, Target, etc, and get a cable that plugs into the heaphone jack of the iPod, and connects to the jack in the console.

I /believe/ you activate the AUX in the head unit by pressing "Disc" twice. Check your manual to be sure.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If your into clairty of the sound, you may want to shield your power cord and headphone cable. Dont wrap the power and audio and tie with a rubber band. There are some interference on the power and audio. This is what the audio proffesionals recommend. Assuming your using very cheap cables.

Reply to
EdV

They are probably showing an RF (radio transmitter) adapter that uses the lighter plug for power. You need a unit that will either connect through the ipod plug, or just plug into the ipod's headphone jack. It then broadcasts to your radio. This kind of unit works best in rural areas, where there aren't as many FM stations. If you live in a city, I'd use a cassette adapter, instead.

Reply to
mj