Iridium or platinum plugs for cold climate?

Currently I have NGK BKR6EKPB-11 plugs in my 1999 Camry--these are OEM. I live northern Maine where temperatures typically drop below zero during winter. Would NGK Iridium plugs (BKR6EIX-11) help for cold starting and gas mileage? Or should I stick with the OEM platinum plugs?

Reply to
aqlumen

This is a non-issue. I have never changed my plugs in my '95 Camry.

156,000 miles. Starts fine, gets 24-29 mpg.
Reply to
Stubby

Perhaps, but do you live in a very cold climate? Trust me, the winters here test even the best ignition systems.

Reply to
aqlumen

Different type plugs wont make a difference, replacing old plugs will, I see a noticeable difference on 40000+ miles when I change them. Best is be sure your thermostat is good

Stubby if you changed yours and checked your timing I bet youd be getting 28-33, I get 28-36.

Reply to
m Ransley

============= If you ever do change the plugs, you need to be careful the threads in the aluminum head don't come out with them - perhaps a good penetrating oil like Kroil would be in order. Platinum plugs are very durable. At sixty thousand miles the gap on mine was still just fine. Changed them because the schedule calls for it. Re: Iridium the primary difference is longevity - scheduled replacement is 90,000 miles versus 60,000. Other than that, unlikely you would see any difference. For extreme cold you will see a significant difference with fully synthetic motor oil.

Reply to
Daniel

I decided to contact NGK on this. Here's their response and I believe it to be accurate.

Hello,

BKR6EIX-11 is a plug designed for improved performance and ignitability. Because of the plug's fine wire center firing electrode, it should help fire the engine easier in cold start situations. Because of the design of the plug you may also see improved efficiency and performance. The Iridium IX plug would however, require more frequent replacement than the OE BKR6EKPB-11 which is a multiple ground electrode platinum plug. The multiple ground electrodes will allow the plug to wear more evenly, prolonging service intervals.

Kristopher Zdral Technical Support Representative NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC.

-----Original Message----- From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:26 PM To: Info Subject: NGK Form Mail

**** Contact Form & Tech Info Feedback ****

Email From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com VehicleType: Car Make: Toyota Model: Camry Year: 1999 Engine Type: 4 cyl, DOHC Comments: Currently I have NGK BKR6EKPB-11 plugs in my Camry--these are OEM. I live northern Maine where temperatures typically drop below zero during winter. Would NGK Iridium plugs (BKR6EIX-11) help for cold starting and gas mileage? Or should I stick with the OEM platinum plugs? When: 10/31/2006 3:26:16 PM

END OF REPORT

Reply to
aqlumen

The Laser Iridium from NGK is a more durable version of the Iridium IX . The Laser Iridum has a thicker center electrode and a platinum pad on the ground electrode. This plug is spec'ed for 120K mile service in newer Toyotas.

Iridiums are superior to traditional platinums in that they can fire very lean mixtures (up to 18:1), have reduced firing voltage requirement and are better in self cleaning. I've used them exclusively on all the cars I install and many times they are cheaper than platinum plugs

NGK platinum plugs are also good and in my experience show little wear (on the other hand Densos look like crap after 60K miles). But plug performances do degrade, probably from internal material changes with use. That's why like to replace them using Iridiums at 30K mile intervals.

A while ago an owner talked about good experience (for 5000 miles since install) with Bosch Platinum Plus-2 plugs. I think I'll give these a try next time. The x2 are about 1/2 the cost of Iridiums but with similarly thin center electrode. And Bosch has a new Iridium/Platinum x4 out now for about $9.99 each.

If you don't mind changing plugs more often, I'd go with NGK Iridiums instead of any platinums. You may be able to get 60K (half of 120K spec on non-waste spark systems) out of the extended service Laser Iridium but you'll have to check with NGK on that. Alawys refer to NGK application guide

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
aqlumen

Hey, what happened to the Laser Iridium IFR6T11 (Toyota #90919-01210) that used to be listed as a replacement for the BKR6E series of plugs?

But rockauto.com still sells them for $7.64, cheaper than the $8.63 plats and not much more than the $6.58 Iridium IX.

You'll have to ask NGK about this.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Also cleaning the caps electrodes and replacing the rotor helps, if you cant aford new wires and a cap. 5-30 synthetic and a good battery with clean terminals will all help equaly more when its cold out.

Reply to
m Ransley

It sounds funny that you even consider a price difference in your choices to a single penny...

The maximum span from the cheapest to the most expensive is 8.63-6.58 is 2 bucks... Even for V6 engine it makes 6 bucks differenece on a set... less than the cost of one lunch! I would not even have the price in the picture here. It is simply not important.

Reply to
Pszemol

No, you got the message wrong, not to mention your calculations below. That's the problem when jumping in half way and not understanding the discussion.

My known preference for iridium plugs and the price comparison merely points out that people should get the Laser Iridium plug if available (as aqlumen understood and looked for), and that a better plug is not necessarily the most expensive plug, whatever the difference may be.

Pszemol wrote:

single penny...

of one lunch!

Reply to
johngdole

My point was to completely remove the price from the comparison, since the difference in price is totally neglegable. Yes, I made mistake, so what? This does not change the main point. For 3 plugs, maximum difference was $6 - for 6 of them $12 - who cares ? Your time is probably much more valuable than the difference between prices.

Reply to
Pszemol