Is car a VE or CE model? conflicting info

I'm looking at a 98 Corolla. It has a VE emblem on the trunk but when I run a VIN check of the car it comes back as a CE model. There is almost a $1000 difference in value. My guess is the VIN report is wrong stating it as a CE but I wouldnt put it paste someone to slap a VE emblem on the car to increase the value???

How can I tell the difference?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

VE was the "Value Edition" Corolla. Nearly a stripper model except when the original buyer ordered something extra like an automatic transmission or A/C. Nearly always had the most basic cloth seats. The next model up was the CE. (Custom Edition).

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

run

it

According to

the CE has more standard options is worth about $300-$500 more than the VE for the 1998 model year.

According to Edmunds, the CE has the following extra standard equipment not on the VE (but these may be options added on the VE you are looking at):

Air Conditioning AM/FM/Cassette Audio System Digital Clock Intermittent Wipers Rear Window Defroster Tilt Steering Wheel

The price of the CE (subject to extra options and adjustments for miliage and condition) are as follows:

Wholesale (trade-in value) $3,705 Third Party sale - $4,630 Retail - $5,673

You should pay about $4,200 to $4,500 for the above car from an auto dealer (subject to extra options and adjustments for miliage and condition).

Reply to
Mark A

Sometimes, when a car has the wrong body style emblem (or no emblem), it has been in an accident, and the wrong emblem is put back on by the body shop. In this case the accident may have been minor (rear trunk damage in a fender bender, but you may want to check into this further, especially to make sure there are not more serious problems such as the frame being bent.

Reply to
Mark A

Phil, I believe CE is Classic Edition. Just check Acronym.com .

=96 =96 (I have a doctor's note to use Webtv)

Reply to
jUZ4LOOkz

If you look on your keyboard, the "C" and the "V" are right next to each other. TYPO! LOL

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

The VE was discontinued in '01, and the CE became the lowest model. That was the year that the S was added, so there continued to be three levels.

I have great difficulty distinguishing between the LE , CE and VE. As long as you have air conditioning, who cares?

Reply to
jhh