Is Recirculating Interior Air Dangerous?

In RECIRC, outside air is not allowed in unless ... the air flow control door seals are rotten. Maybe you wish to rephrase you post? ;-)

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

IF you keep the recirc on for a long time, there will be a smell especially during the summers when you have the AC on all the time. Periodically I change over to full hot open all the doors and turn the fan to full. 10/15 minutes of that and the mold/ fungus etc in the air ducts is killed off.

Even in recirc, some fresh air is always mixed into the system. Look at the way AC systems are designed for buildings, where air changes per hour are a mandatory design requirement. The number of air changes per hour depend on the conditions for the volume of space ie it will be low if the place is not having a high occupancy or high if it is a crowded place. I think toyota or for that matter any car manufacturer would follow standard industry practice while designing the AC systems.

WE could try asking Toyota as to what is there design air change rate at recirc??

Regards

Javed

Reply to
Javed

Personally, my Corolla book supports my long standing practice of RARELY using the RECIRC mode. The reason is the one you have stated ... to minimize the optimum environment for mold growth.

Once the passenger doors are closed, the plenum chamber door controlling fresh air admission seals pretty well.

Not relevant to automotive practice.

Once you've had a late model plenum apart, you'll dismiss that belief.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

It depends on where you live. People who live in very hot and humid climates simply do not have the luxury of using recirculating AC air all the time. Most people in moderate and/or drier climates can use recirculate all the time (except when you see a dead skunk ahead on the road).

Reply to
Mark A

Mark A wrote: || It depends on where you live. People who live in very hot and humid || climates simply do not have the luxury of using recirculating AC air || all the time. Most people in moderate and/or drier climates can use || recirculate all the time (except when you see a dead skunk ahead on || the road).

You got that reversed. It's when you see the dead skunk that you go TO RECIRC.

Reply to
SHARX

Thanks, I think you are right. Could one ask Toyota people about this? how does one contact them. Do they have a message board or something?

Reply to
Javed

I spend quite a time/miles in southern CA and AZ deserts. I do not run RECIRC mode. Maybe you didn't notice that FRESH is the default mode.

CERTAINLY when you pass over a dead skunk while in RECIRC mode ... you would NOT switch to FRESH. What's the matter with you?

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Agreed. It's safe to disregard Mark A ... again. LOL

--
  - Philip

"The people who applauded and cheered the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip®