Is Regular Fuel better then Premium Fuel in Winter

Ive always wondered why cars are not equiped with a fuel filter system similar to diesels that filter out water to a container that is automaticly emptied. Would save alot on repairs

Reply to
m Ransley

Buyers have not demanded such a feature. RARELY do diesel car owners ask for such a feature and THEY should be amoung the first! What repairs do you believe a water/gasoline separator would prevent? Consider many car and truck sheduled maintenance schedules imply the fuel filter will outlast most of the emission control warranties. Also, such a drain system would be a source of gasoline leakage and of course ... fires.

Reply to
Philip®

Well Duh! Isn't that what I said was only thing premium fuels do that regular fuels do not do? ;)

mike hunt

"Tegger®" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com being of bellicose mind posted:

Not really, MikeHunt. TeGGer didn't wander off into oil company profit conspiracy like you did AND TeGGer pointed out the gradual rise in carbon accumulations that CHANGE octane requirements. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

I have found regular use of Heat or alcohol on a full tank allowes excess water to be absorbed into the gas to be burned , preventing an acumulation at the tank bottom. I beleive alcohol will only absorbe apx

10 % of its weight in water and burn . I ve always done this with no problems , and in the midwest its an insurance policy so some bad gas doesnt ruin your day , or more, when its near Zero out. Phil isnt it possible you just got a bad tank of gas ? It does rarely occur to have old Gas station storage tanks leak, alowing in ground water when the tank is low contaminating storage. A neighborhood Clark caused about 10 - 20 people a week to get their tanks drained untill they figured it was a bad tank and replaced it . Today we are 0 f and many people who run ' Always low" and dont maintain cars find themselves not starting or worse stranded and possibly needing repairs because of what freezing water does Water is not good for brakes and fuel systems carb and injection as it causes corrosion and expands when it freezes, Im sure many actual repairs on fuel systems if studied , could be attributable to a poor gas and the freezing of water in gas as well as customer care . Such as those keeping a low continous tank level . ex the person who regularly put in 3 gallons, because they cant "afford" more., are setting themselves up for repairs. I feel regular fill ups,[ no pun intended Phillip ] not running the tank dry, and heat at fill ups are a good measure especialy at Zero f and below.
Reply to
m Ransley

"Philip®" spake unto the masses in news:fnYRb.755$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I wonder about the logical skills of those who complain about oil company profits. Oil companies tend to have profit margins around 7-8%. Microsoft is over 25%. 8% is not spectacular by any means.

Also, the filling station portion of profits tend to come more from such things as refreshments, supplies, cigarettes and impulse items. Fuel alone is a poor profit performer.

Reply to
Tegger®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net, m Ransley being of bellicose mind posted:

Anything in this arena is "possible" when you are clueless or have no experience. The *probability* in this case is infintesimal. Two major reasons: (a) southern California gasoline was at that time, rich in MTBE. (b) I purchase all my gasoline from Unocal76 and Mobil. It is a rare occurance that I purchase fuel from any other retailer. California has TWICE dug up all underground fuel storage tanks for leaks.

It is FOOLISH and HARMFUL to run any fuel injected engine on the bottom 2-3 gallons. The reason is, the electric fuel pump uses the fuel passing through it for LUBRICATION. When you have gulps of air in the lubricant flow, the mechanism experiences moments of lubricant starvation.

Reply to
Philip®

Philit and anything such as your half assed response shows you to be a true ass," I am clueless and have no experiance" Who in the f*ck made you king of Ca. Ca dug up tanks TWICE , Yea none were leaking or as you said running on 2-3 gallons of gas is plain Dumb just as you were doing when you sucked all that crap in your motor, Smart. So you got crap gas or didnt maintain levels getting condensation, Regular use of heat would of saved you some trouble, dumb ass. The fact you had a filter full of water shows Who is Clueless and has no Experiance. I came here for a little friendly chat and get your shit again.

Reply to
m Ransley

Get bent.

Reply to
Charks

It's SO easy to push your buttons. Hahahha. Would it help your self esteem if I had worded my comment "Anything in this arena is "possible" when *a* *person* is clueless or has no experience." Feel better now? California hasn't used metal tanks in at least 15 years and the first installations used a fiberglass-like material that MTBE could get through. So... we had them all dug up and replaced. Big Bucks.

What YOU (notice I'm personalizing the following) don't "get" is there is no way to "suck up" water just because the fuel level is low because (a) the fuel pump inlet is fixed just above the BOTTOM of the tank and (b) water does not float on gasoline. What little water there apparently was in the sump below the fuel pump inlet was absorbed by the HEAT fuel-drier product and got transported to the fuel filter ... the filter that won't let water through, irrespective of the fuel level. For your approval, (a) the car was being driven about 30k miles a year at that time, (b) the car was being driven in southern CA, AZ, NV for the most part .... areas known for low relative humidity, and (c) the car had a non-vented fuel tank cap .... meaning all venting was to a charcoal canister, connected to the throttle body. So I do not ascribe to your tank of contaminated gas theory that just happened to be the same tank that I added HEAT fuel-drier to. I have never used HEAT fuel-drier in a car up to that particular experience and I have not used it in anything since. I don't need the aggravation.

Reply to
Philip®

In news:NxdSb.41330$oj2.30316@edtnps89, Charks being of bellicose mind posted:

Hey "Ransley"... you got your friendly chat and the shit you live for ... you insect. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

When you're selling a product with no decrease(actually a slight increase every year) in need - almost like a drug dealer - 8% is great.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph Oberlander spake unto the masses in news:IogSb.2395$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. In that case, 100% would be great. When was the last time you bought dope?

Reply to
Tegger®

I wouldn't know. For a *legal* business, 8% permanently, 24/7, a year is great.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph Oberlander spake unto the masses in news:vIhSb.2507$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Joseph, publicly published financial statements cover one year. That year contains ups and downs due to all sorts of factors, but none of that shows at the bottom line. All you see is the year-end totals. Nobody makes 8% or any other percent "24/7".

Some businesses, such as certain retail ones, make 50% of their profit (or more) around Christmas. Their overall year might net them 6%, but half of that came in two months. The rest of the year they lose money. Think about that.

For every $100 the average business takes in, $90 of that has to be spent to pay workers and suppliers. It does not take much to turn that $10 profit into $0 or less. One lawsuit, one screwup, one civil war, one regulatory change, one deposed politician and you're in the red.

If a commodity business (like petroleum) manages to net 10 to 15% per year, that is fabulous. 8% is not fabulous. It is run-of-the-mill, unless you compare it to retail grocery stores, which might net 3% over the course of a year. If they're well-run.

You have NO idea how hard you have to work, how creative you have to be, how foresightful, flexible and responsive you MUST be, in order to make ANY business profitable at all for any sustained amount of time.

Some industries, such as software or entertainment, are wildly profitable. Most of that is due to the governmental monopoly called "copyright". Petroleum has no such protection, which is why they have branched heavily into peripheral things, like synthetic oil, cigarettes and coffee. Coffee, for instance, carries an enormous profit margin (around 85%), but nobody ever buys $40 worth of coffee at one time.

And by the way, you're wrong in your basic contention, that gasoline is slightly more expensive every year. Since 1970, it has gotten much CHEAPER overall. If it costs more dollars now, that is due to taxes, regulation, currency debasement and nothing more. Gasoline is cheaper now than it has ever been. Ever. And you begrudge them their 8%.

Another book for you: "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand.

Reply to
Tegger®

Thanks... I always love helpful advice that saves $.

Reply to
gbfox

I too, have had the same experience with a similar product which I bought at Wallmart. The bottle was grey and had Dale Earnhart or Richard Petty on the front. It was supposed to do the same as Heat. My '88 camry would hardly stay running and sounded like it was going to fall apart. My solution was to drive it until I could put some more ethanol in it. After two tanks without any products she seems to run like her old self again.

Reply to
gbfox

You go Phil.

Reply to
gbfox

I think you two really like each other and will make up real soon.

Reply to
gbfox