Jack stand goes where?

I have recently bought a 99 2.2 liter Camry, and time has come to change the oil.

The safety instructions on my new hydraulic jack say I should not work under the car unless I use a safety support (a jack stand). I have one of those also, the question is where do I put it, since the designated place is already in use by the jack.

Blackbird

Reply to
Blackbird

With the prior "Generation" Camry, have found it is not necessary to lift the frame to reach the oil drain plug. If the car is level, (front end not raised) oil may drain more completely also. Don't know if you have access to a garage (smooth concrete floor may help). Find work clothes, and a shop light - the kind that uses a standard bulb and includes a housing and electric cord. If I remember correctly, one can get access to the drain plug from behind the front wheel. Slide your head under the side just enough to see the drain plug, then reach in with your arm. By using the shop light, (from the front) you can see the drain bolt. Probably sounds harder than it is. Once you've applied the initial force, it comes out easily. If you have time, let it drain over night, and your new oil will stay cleaner even longer. You ought to be able to reach the transmission drain plug also, by reaching in from the front if needed. If you have the separate differential housing, you need to raise the car to reach that drain plug.

I never use the stamped steel side jacking points to lift the front of the car. Save those for emergency road side tire changing only. There is a substantial frame section going across the front of the engine, that supports the front engine mount, and is welded at the ends, to the side frame rails. There is a spherical point in the center that is an approved lifting area. Then use jack stands on either side, on the round tubular sections of this cross member. There is a similar frame sub section in the rear, to which the rear suspension arms attach, but you need to set the jack stands on the relatively flimsy sheet metal "lip" at the jacking points. To protect the spot welds, use a 12" section of 2 x 4 lumber on top of the jack stands to spread the load there.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

In my experience (lifting the frame from the center), jack stands are used in pairs, one on each side of the hydraulic jack, or on both sides of the car, - to stablize and balance the load.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

"Daniel M. Dreifus" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Thanks Daniel, just the info I needed!

Blackbird

Reply to
Blackbird

"Daniel M. Dreifus" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

After reading your instructions I can see why. I'll get me a second one (even though I may not need it for chainging the oil).

Blackbird

Reply to
Blackbird

Reply to