Japan vs USA Camry

What is the difference?

I am living in Sweden - if I would purchase a part from the US, should I buy a Japan or US version. I have a Camry ´92 V6

Reply to
Camry_guy

Parts are the same but some people feel that the Japanese assembled vehicles are put together better.

Reply to
Art

Actually, and not saying I believe it, I read a long debate awhile back between several posters about whether the Toyota OEM oil filters made in Japan were better than the OEM made in USA....

Reply to
timbirr

Toyota USA stocks parts for both Japan and US assembled Camry's. Many Camry's sold on the West Coast of the US are made in Japan, although it depends somewhat on the year and the engine size (92 V6 more likely from Japan). Sometimes the parts are slightly different depending on country of assembly, even for windshield wiper refills, so you have to specify the VIN number before ordering parts.

In terms of quality, the difference is insignificant on average.

Reply to
Mark A

You have to specify the VIN number when ordering parts for all cars these days. Nothing to do with whether or not the Toyota was made in the US or Japan. Manufacturers make line changes all the time.

Reply to
Art

Wrong. With regard to Camrys, the primary consideration is country of assembly. They only very rarely make parts changes mid year (that are not exactly compatible). Every time the Toyota parts department has asked me for the VIN, I just tell them the first letter and they are satisfied.

Reply to
Mark A

Your parts guy is a dork.

Reply to
Art

LMAO

Thanks guy´s for your replies

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Camry_guy

Given a choice, I'd opt for the Japanese manufacture. One of the challenges facing Toyota as a worldwide corporation, is transplanting the Toyota "culture" to other countries, to maintain the reputation for quality that originated with the vehicles manufactured in Japan.

Reply to
Daniel

Toyota has been building cars in the US for quite a few years by now. They have met that challenge in the US.

The major difference between US and Japanese car manufacturers is the engineering, not the assembly. US designers do not spec parts to the same tolerance because they think American workers are too incompetent. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, (and soon MB) have proved them wrong.

Reply to
Mark A

As I understand it, all group leaders hired for Toyota's American plants are required to spend appx 2 weeks in Japan before they work in the plant for indoctrination. Also, many of the management team is made up of Japanese people, so I think a lot, if not all, of their work ethics are implanted in American plants. I had the opportunity to tour Toyota's fork truck facility in Columbus, IN and can testify it is different, in a positive way, from any manufacturing facility I've ever been in. The first most noticable thing is how clean the place is, and the second is how everyone is in a good mood. Not necessarily joking and etc. but smiling and friendly. You can't make American people act that way if the environment they are in isn't good. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

not all the parts are exactly the same between Jap. and Amer. build Toyotas of the same model ... Digit 1 of your VIN Number is the World Manufacturer Identification digit.

1 = USA: NUMMI 2 = Canada: TMMC 4 = USA: TMM & NUMMI J = Japan

Check your VIN and order accordingly.

Reply to
BLUEMEANIE