Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP!!!

My '95 Toyota Camery ignition lock cylinder will not turn, thus the car won't start. I'm trying to replace this lock cylinder but you have to have the key in the ignition and turned to the "acc" position in order to pull the cylinder. My problem is the key will not turn to the acc position at all. It is stuck in the off position. Anyone, please help me change the cylinder!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

eeee wrote:

When this happens to me I just turn the steering wheel as far as it will go in both directions while twisting the key. That always frees it up.

Thanks, but I've tried that alreeady, didn't work. Any other suggestions???

eeee wrote:

Sounds like you've got a stuck pin in the lock cylinder. Don't try to force the key or lock as you can bend or gouge the pin and it may not retract. Go to a Ford dealer and get an aerosol can of lock lube and penetrant. It should only cost appx $5 and is the best product I've found for locks. I use it in the fall instead of graphite lock lube. You may have to work with it for a while, spraying and sliding key in and out. When you try to turn the switch, like Nobody Important said, make sure there is no tension on lock from steering wheel lock by turning steering wheel slightly. HTH, Dave

Thanks, but now, after monkeying around with it all afternoon I broke the key off in the ignition (@#$%&!) Any suggestions on how to remove the cylinder, with the key broke off inside the cylinder, and unable to turn the broke off key into the ACC position?

eeee wrote:

You're going to have to find a pick, possibly an old dental pick, to snag the piece of key in cylinder and pull it out. You may just want to drive it to to a locksmith and like mrdarrett posted, get the whole thing fixed there. Dave

davidj92 wrote:

Or if he can't start the car, he might want to look in the yellow pages for a locksmith who can travel to his house...

Mike Darrett

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: snip

Good catch there, I forgot the point he can't use ignition switch. :-( Dave

Still looking for help/advice on changing out a ignition cylinder with the key broke off in it and it not being able to turn to the ACC position.

eeee wrote:

phonebook, locksmith?

Site Timeline