Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP!!!

Threaded View

My '95 Toyota Camery ignition lock cylinder will not turn, thus the car
won't start.  I'm trying to replace this lock cylinder but you have to
have the key in the ignition and turned to the "acc" position in order to
pull the cylinder.  My problem is the key will not turn to the acc
position at all. It is stuck in the off position.  Anyone, please help me
change the cylinder!!!   Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP!!!

When this happens to me I just turn the steering wheel as far as it will
go in both directions while twisting the key.  That always frees it up.

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP

Thanks, but I've tried that alreeady, didn't work.  Any other
suggestions???

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP

Sounds like you've got a stuck pin in the lock cylinder. Don't try to force
the key or lock as you can bend or gouge the pin and it may not retract. Go
to a Ford dealer and get an aerosol can of lock lube and penetrant. It
should only cost appx $5 and is the best product I've found for locks. I use
it in the fall instead of graphite lock lube.
You may have to work with it for a while, spraying and sliding key in and
out. When you try to turn the switch, like Nobody Important said, make sure
there is no tension on lock from steering wheel lock by turning steering
wheel slightly.
HTH, Dave

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start...

Thanks, but now, after monkeying around with it all afternoon I broke the
key off in the ignition (@#$%&!)  Any suggestions on how to remove the
cylinder, with the key broke off inside the cylinder, and unable to turn
the broke off key into the ACC position?

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start...

You're going to have to find a pick, possibly an old dental pick, to snag
the piece of key in cylinder and pull it out.
You may just want to drive it to to a locksmith and like mrdarrett posted,
get the whole thing fixed there.
Dave

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start...

Or if he can't start the car, he might want to look in the yellow pages
for a locksmith who can travel to his house...

Mike Darrett

Re: Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start...

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
snip

Good catch there, I forgot the point he can't use ignition switch. :-(
Dave

Re: '95 Camry Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP

Still looking for help/advice on changing out a ignition cylinder with the
key broke off in it and it not being able to turn to the ACC position.

Re: '95 Camry Key stuck in ignition cylinder lock, won't turn or start... HELP

phonebook, locksmith?

Site Timeline