Kill switch for 91 camry

My 1991 Camry was stolen a while back, then recovered. I've decided to install a hidden kill switch, and am trying to decide what to hook it to. So far I'm considering running my hidden switch to the negative terminal on either the coil or the fuel pump.

I see the coil is integral to the distributor (I've never had a car with one of these until now.) I don't know where the fuel pump is located, but haven't looked too hard.

Basically, I'd like to take the path of least resistance (read: the easiest and least time consuming!) If anybody here has other ideas I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, perhaps y'all can point me in the right direction for the fuel pump, and what you consider to be the easiest "fix."

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
MarkZ

Why not just buy one of those steering wheel lock bars.

Some one intent on stealing a car would look inside and see the steering wheel with a bar lock on it and move on to an easier target.

Reply to
lobo

A nice loud alarm once they open a door or bump the vehicle is the first line of defence. If you want to install a kill-switch, there are a number of circuits you can disable with a switch eg starter-motor solenoid wire or remove the fuse-board and break into a circuit which sounds important eg ECU, ignition etc.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
MarkZ

======================== Car and Driver magazine rated antitheft devices a couple of months ago and their favorite is like your idea pre packaged. There is a round "key" with something like 8 pins and a matching round holder. It is professionally installed, and all the wiring is run inside the existing wiring harnesses to be undetectable. Seems like even professional thieves couldn't break it. Look for the small round "key" picture in the ads in back every month. If you're looking for something to disable, there is a fuel cutoff relay that goes off when the ignition key is turned off to stop the engine immediately.

Reply to
Daniel

=========== Our Recommendations

Top Choice The Unbrakeable Autolock from Lawman Armor Corp.

This lock attaches to the brake pedal or clutch pedal. These pedals are almost impossible to cut because of their thick, solid-steel construction. Installation wasn't difficult to master; it took Good Housekeeping Institute engineers only about 15 seconds to install. Simply slide the lock over the top of the pedal, push down to the floor as you hold down the lock with your foot, and pull the handle and lock into position. Because all new cars require you to depress the brake pedal before you can put the vehicle into gear, the would-be thief can't go anywhere. It even comes with a bright yellow cover for your steering wheel to warn intruders. And if your car does get stolen when this lock is properly installed, Lawman will reimburse up to $1,000 for your auto-theft-insurance deductible. Cost: $59.95 Phone: (800) 399-8668 or

Daniel

MarkZ wrote:

================= VIN etching

(Redirected from VIN Etching) Jump to: navigation, search

VIN etching is a countermeasure to car theft, which involves the use of a stencil and glass etching paste to etch a car's VIN (vehicle identification number) onto its windshield and windows. This makes the car less profitable to thieves, as they end up having to replace the glass (at considerable cost) before they can sell the stolen vehicle therefore they will move on to a vehicle that has not been etched. Similarly, auto parts buyers will not buy parts that have identification numbers. Most of the parts on a vehicle have at least a partial VIN stamped on them. That means that when a thief tries to sell the parts off of a car for profit, those stamped parts carry a higher risk for both thief and disreputable auto parts seller. Since the glass has no identification number and is often interchangeable with many different years and models of vehicle there is often a much greater profit for the thief compared to other components on the auto. This will lead a thief to search for a non etched auto. Many etch companies will also pay a benefit of up to $5000 in the event that a vehicle that has been etched is stolen. Some automobile insurance companies offer discounts off their premium for VIN etching. VIN etching is offered by many car dealerships as a low cost add-on option; they commonly charge a relatively small fee to apply an etching kit that can potentially save drivers thousands of dollars. ================= You should be able to find a kit for around $20

Reply to
Daniel

I wouldn't connect to the coil. Inductive kickback could arc across the switch or your wiring. Or create radio interferrence.

Fuel pump should be in the gas tank. If it's like my 83, it's under the rear seat. Wires in plain site when you remove the bottom cushion.

You could tap into one of the relays. Either the main relay or the fuel injection relay. I'd choose the fuel injection route. Since the car will still crank over, the thief may be led to believe that the car is broken rather than looking for the disabling wires. I've known folks that remove the FI relay every time they park.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

The glass etching is a nice idea. The scum who took my car, however, were more interested in just having a "loaner" to use for a few days. I really don't think they would have kept it as long as they did if the car didn't have a full tank of gas in it (I had just refueled that morning.) They were drug users (I found this out when I stuck my hand under the driver's seat to remove some garbage they left (after the car had been recovered) and pulled my hand out with a syringe embedded in my palm.

I just finished my mod. I disabled my starter. While I like the idea of the fuel pump mod, I didnt' feel like playing with the fuel pump or the fuse box. Though a thief could easily detect my mod if he/she looked under the hood, I don't really think any scum in the night is going to take the time needed to pop the top and explore why the car won't start. I'll take my chances with it the way I've done it, and I'm quite pleased with the location of the spot for my hidden switch...

Thanks to all who replied, Mark

Reply to
MarkZ