Leaking boot axel

My '94 Camry just came back from the shop. The timing belt broke. Was told right axel boot was leaking and needed replacing, as well as I needed two new front tires. What would be the approx. cost of fixing the axel boot?

The car has 130K miles on it and has been in the shop several times this year. We have been looking at Honda Pilots and Odesseys. (Toyotas are too pricey) Is it time to bite the big one and trade it in? I've got two kids and need a dependable car. I think my reliable old Toyota may be getting to the point where it is going to cost me more money and headaches than it is worth. What do you all think?

Reply to
Debbiedo

Of course it all depends on how it has been maintained. 130K miles for a Camry is not much. I sold my 94 with 164K miles with no problem whatsoever, actually I feel cheated because my wife sold it to the first person who called while I was out of town that weekend.

In the 4 cylinder model the timing belt is supposed to be replaced every 60K miles. Your mileage indicates you missed at least one interval, if not two. CV boots wear out, and I believe vehicles of that era had rubber products that don't hold up as well as today's do. My 97 with 115K miles hasn't had one bad seal or rubber boot yet.

You will probably need motor mounts soon, hopefully transmission, differential, radiator, brake, and engine fluids has been changed regularly. If you replace the CV boot, consider keeping the Toyota axle if it is still good or replace with another genuine Toyota part. I went through three axles on one side and two on the other side because I got the cheap Pep Boys ones.

If you get another used car you will have to deal with any unknown problems it might have. If the Camry has served you well a bit of minor repair work may be worth not having to make payments on a nother vehicle.

Reply to
badgolferman

"" wrote: > My '94 Camry just came back from the shop. The timing belt > broke. Was > told right axel boot was leaking and needed replacing, as well > as I > needed two new front tires. What would be the approx. cost of > fixing > the axel boot? > > The car has 130K miles on it and has been in the shop several > times > this year. We have been looking at Honda Pilots and Odesseys. > (Toyotas > are too pricey) Is it time to bite the big one and trade it > in? I've > got two kids and need a dependable car. I think my reliable > old Toyota > may be getting to the point where it is going to cost me more > money and > headaches than it is worth. What do you all think?

Not sure what one side cv boot replacement is worth in USA but we at dealership charge $175.00 installed price here in Canada. That a genuine Toyota part.

Joanne MH

Reply to
joanne_mh

Recently replaced the right side axle on my '94 Camry with remanufactured Toyota part. Dealer list was $218.79 - got it for $132. BTW, first attempt, they looked up the wrong part number - the correct part number (if you have no ABS and four cylinder) is: 43410-06151-84. Here's another suggestion, if you plan on keeping the car - be sure they order and also replace the snap ring and lock bolt for the carrier bearing on the axle. The factory service manual lists these as "non reusable parts" and they should be replaced. A prior mechanic had changed the boot once without changing the lock bolt and the old part was allowing the bearing to rotate in the housing

- I believe it was also creating a high speed vibration because the old part was missing the neoprene tip and essentially not working at all. I just compare the cost of repair to the cost of new car payments. It is always more economical to repair than replace your Camry. The justification for buying a new car is that you want a new car. I plan on keeping my '94 forever, but doing my own work keeps the pricing much more reasonable and insures the work is done very carefully and thoroughly. My own personal opinion is that many cars are damaged in little ways by having mechanics on a time schedule working quickly to make more money, creating small or sometimes not so small errors in the work which serves to shorten the life of the car. Jay Leno said he still has the same car he had when he was married. If you find a good mechanic you're in great shape. If you want a new car, buy a new car, but not because you have normal maintenance and repair. Toyota is one of the most reliable and back in '94 they were very well made vehicles that can last a long, long time when properly cared for.

Reply to
Daniel