Lexus losing power

A friend said her '00 or '01 Lexus (6-cyl.) occasionally gradually loses power on the highway. While pressing the accelerator with constant pressure, speedometer will slowly lose speed.

What could cause this?

Reply to
Michael

Alot of things can cause it, mine was a bad transmission.

Reply to
ransley

Did the engine RPM gradually increase as in a transmission flare? Does the engine rev fine in idle?

Among the causes I would suspect the transmission as well. 00-01 could be using one of the two transmissions. One is the more reliable Aisin A541 series, the other is the clunker Aisin U140 series. Check one of the stickers near the door (?), it should tell you.

When was the transmission fluid and strainer last changed? I'd check the ATF condition and level, and then consider dropping the pan, change out the strainer/gasket, and maybe refill with a high mileage ATF, like Valvoline Max. This fluid is compatible with Dexron III or T- IV (Mobil-3309).

Reply to
john

Ok, interesting... I'll tell her to change the trans fluid.

She said her husband put in some oil additive and that improved things a bit. So I suspected engine sludge, and recommended 5W-30 synthetic oil next change...

Michael

Reply to
Michael