Losing coolant from radiator but overflow tank is full

I have '95 Camry and for some reason it losing collant from radiator that cuse the car to over heat. I have been tried to fixed it for almost a month but still stuck.

At first I saw soem water underneath the car and the overflow tank was really low. I changed the overflow tank and the leak has totally gone. But I still have problem with low collant in the radiator.

It seem the problem that the collant goes to the overflow tank without any problem when the engine start to get hotter. But it never goes back to the radiator when the encine cools down.

Anybody had similar experience or know how to fix this ? Anny help will be appreciated.

Reply to
eagle72

Try checking the radiator carefully. The upper plastic tank can develop a tiny breaks that allow coolant to leak, but if they're small enough, or hidden, you may not see them without searching for a while with a light. Try looking with the engine cold. That's how I found mine. Was checking something else under the hood and spotted a small amount of fluid on the upper tank. Supposedly, the new radiators include an improved reinforced design. Changed mine a while back, no problems since. If you want to go an extra step, there are cushions under the upper clamps that can be replaced. Save the rubber "doughnuts" from the bottom for re use. Be really vigilant about over heating - it can create severe engine trouble with your aluminum heads. The Toyota radiator is aluminum, and when working properly, with the correct coolant, they function extremely well, dissipating heat rapidly over a large surface area to minimize usage of the electric fans.

Reply to
Daniel

I think your radiator cap is bad. It's a two-way valve and it seems it's only working one-way. Should be a cheap fix, I recommend an OEM cap from your local dealer. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

the cap idea sounds right. I had the same problem in my 91 camry. I saw coolant in tiny amounts accumalating on the shield under the rad, over flow was full. I thought it was the hoses so I replaced them, but eventually realized it was the rad cap. Just be careful not to select a rad cap that is under/over the original rated pressure. Go with OEM equipment whenever possible Remember: always consider the smaller repairs first when troubleshooting it will save you alot of time, agravation, and money!

Reply to
justinm930

I can explain your problem, but do not know where the problem (the leak) is. Your cooling system is low on coolant. This may cause the thermostat not being immersed in coolant. Therefore, even when the engine overheats and the coolant is hot in the engine, the thermostat is cool and refuses to open. You can check this condition by touching the lower radiator hose and find that it is cool even when the car overheats.

Madis> I have '95 Camry and for some reason it losing collant from radiator

Reply to
Madison18