Loss of power, codes p1125 p1128: Throttle Body Replacement?

I had a problem on my 2002 camry LE V6 where I lose power and the steering was pretty tight. Took it to the dealer and they said the throttle body needs replacing to the tune of $1460+ taxes. It was -26 today.

Anyone else have this issue.

Reply to
Car Guy

Car Guy wrote: || I had a problem on my 2002 camry LE V6 where I lose power and the || steering was pretty tight. Took it to the dealer and they said the || throttle body needs replacing to the tune of $1460+ taxes. It was || -26 today. || || Anyone else have this issue.

Shouldn't that be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Reply to
Horatio

Yes, the parts involved are expensive. Basically there's a new throttle body that replaces the current one. It has a different sized mounting surface that requires changes in the intake manifold and throttle body gasket also.

The updated parts address problems caused by sub freezing weather. The original throttle body motor assembly may respond sluggishly to computer command in very cold temps, setting P1125, P1128, or P1129 codes. This causes your computer to operate on backup strategy which limits power until the problem is addressed. If you were to clear ECM memory and drive in warmer weather, the condition would go away.

This is a 3/36 covered item, unless you are in California, Massachusetts, or Vermont where coverage is 7/70 (state mandate). You can call Toyota Corporate Customer Service if the dealer won't give you out-of-warrantee consideration -- they don't have to, BTW. They may be more inclined to help if you've done your maintenance there. Assuming that you're out of warrantee, then you're in "good will" territory at this point.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

If Toyota won't cover it under warranty and the weather has warmed up I'd just buy a OBD-II code scanner (typical link below) and reset the codes. Its cheaper, no need to drive to the dealer, and you'll have a "free" OBD-II scanner to use from here on out.

Travis Jordan

Those codes refer to this: P1125 Throttle Control Motor Circuit. P1128 Throttle Control Motor Lock. Maybe a wire or connector to this motor thingy is loose or fell off? Take a look. What did the dealer want to replace? I think your steering was just cold making it tight.

Reply to
ROBMURR