Low-RPM cutout in 1990 Camry V6

Hey guys. Cruising at 1400-2000 RPM, with very light pressure on the accelerator pedal (like in rush hour -- you know, typical in LA), the engine throttle will cut off and on repeatedly, as if the engine is being fuel starved. The car acts like you've let out the clutch too fast.

Engine has ~40,000 miles [that MILES, you Canucks and EUnionists]. Recently tuned up.

Any thoughts? Is there a throttle position sensor that needs adjustment? Other ideas?

Reply to
abbottim

========= This may not be it, but I'd check for a loose or cracked vacuum line. My old Toyota truck did this until I replaced all of them. While that had a carburetor, and was much older, I'd still check all of the vacuum lines, or alternatively, use a vacuum gauge to check for even vacuum readings at low engine speed.

Reply to
Daniel

The throttle position sensor probably has an idle contact. You should check that it isn't contacting too soon.

Not sure if the 90 V6 has one, but all my 83-89 Toyotas have them.

What kind of transmission? If automatic it could be the torque converter lock up.

Reply to
Kurt