lubricate antenna

hey,

Does somenone know how I can lubricate my motor antenna of my Camry custom GLI 2.2. 1994?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Bombadil

Lots of folks have stated that WD-40 is primarily a moisture displacer and not a lubricant, but having found nothing better here's what I've been doing and it seems to work well at keeping the mast clean and operating freely. It is my theory that when the mast gets dirty or gummed up, the additional stress on the little teeth on the plastic strip that is moving the antenna, experiences shortened life requiring sooner replacement of the mast. Once a week, when checking the oil and tires, I take a standard red shop towel (rag) folder over in half and then in half again, spray a fair amount of WD-40 along a line in the center and then wipe the antenna mast to lightly clean and lubricate it. So far, still works flawlessly. When I purchased the car, used in 8/2001, (before finding any Camry online newsroups) the mast was completely broken off leaving a hole at the base. The dealer charged 1.5 hours labor, $108 USD, and $44.30 (plus tax) for the mast = $152.30, so it seemed to make sense to avoid having to replace it again.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus