Min. Rotor Thickness, for Brake, '02 XLE Camry

Does anyone know what the minimum thickness for turning the rotors on the front and rear brake set is?

Thanks in advance. Jim

Reply to
Jim Larkey

If you are doing the brakes yourself , why bother, turning a rotor costs

10, new rotors cost 20.
Reply to
m Ransley

Jim Larkey wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com... : Does anyone know what the minimum thickness for turning the rotors on the : front and rear brake set is? : : Thanks in advance. : Jim :

Reply to
M. Hamill

He wanted to know minimum THICKNESS, not min/max DIAMETER.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Liberal|sarl|airs| !|

Reply to
M. Hamill

You still don't get it. He wants to know how THICK the rotors should be, not the diameter measurement. What you said is true for the DIAMETER but it does not answer the question about THICKNESS

Reply to
Car Guy

Yep, I want to know how much metal I've got left before replacing. I can mic the rotors pretty easy, but I don't know what the limit is (yes I understand that it's stamped on the rotor, but I haven't been able to find it).

Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
Jim Larkey

In my manual for a '96 4cyl, the front rotors standard thickness is 28mm new,..the minimum thickness after machining (to remove scoring) is 26mm. The rear brakes are drum.

Not a great deal to play with 1mm (40 thou) on each side. Probably 'cause their ventilated.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The front disc brake: Standard thickness: 28mm minimum thickness: 26mm

Rear Disc Brake: Standard thickness: 12.0mm minimum thickness: 10.5mm

Reply to
Jack fuse

Thanks Jack fuse....that's what I was looking for.

Cheers, Jim

Rear Disc Brake: Standard thickness: 12.0mm minimum thickness: 10.5mm

Reply to
Jim Larkey

M. Hamill wrote: || Liberal|sarl|airs| !|

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Jack fuse wrote: | The front disc brake: | Standard thickness: 28mm | minimum thickness: 26mm | | Rear Disc Brake: | Standard thickness: 12.0mm | minimum thickness: 10.5mm |

Finally SOMEONE gets it.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

"Liberal|sarl|airs| !|"

Reply to
Jason James

Jason James wrote: || "Liberal|sarl|airs| !|"

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Reply to
Philip

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
Philip

Liberal|sarl|airs| !| wrote in message : || news:9LM_d.46042$ZO2.45084@edtnps84... : ||| M. Hamill wrote: : ||||| Jim Larkey wrote in message : ||||| news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com... : |||||| Does anyone know what the minimum thickness for turning the : |||||| rotors on the front and rear brake set is? : |||||| : |||||| Thanks in advance. : |||||| Jim : |||||| : ||||| ---- : ||||| On my 1998 Corolla, it says in stamped lettering on the rotors, : ||||| maximum inside diameter 201 mm. Your Camry's rear rotors may be : ||||| lettered similarly. Your dealer-provided Camry manual might say : ||||| what the settings for both the front and rear should be; if not, : ||||| a Haynes or Chilton's manual should help. Disc brakes pretty much : ||||| all have attachments that will make a squealing sound when you : ||||| hit the brakes and the pads need to be replaced. Sometimes when : ||||| the front pads need replacment, it's also time to replace the : ||||| front rotors, too. : ||||| : ||||| Mike : ||| : ||| He wanted to know minimum THICKNESS, not min/max DIAMETER. : || ---- : || In the case of drum brakes (still the usual type used on rear : || axles), the maximum diameter of the rotor is the appropriate spec. : || The diameter increases as rotor metal wears away with braking over : || time, although the pads wear faster. This max. diameter spec. is : || referenced in car manuals and the owners' guides. : || : || Having said that, I notice disc brakes on the rear among more and : || more late model cars; perhaps this gent's car has disc brakes on the : || rear. I don't know about 2002 Camries. : : DRUM brakes do NOT have rotors. There is no way that one can INCREASE the : diameter of an object without pounding it out. Brake linings, pads and : rotors get THINNER with use. Period. DRUM prakes have DRUMS and linings. :

Reply to
M. Hamill

Reply to
Philip