Mobil 1 vs. Castrol Syntec

I've been using Castrol Syntec in my 99 Camry and have had no oil related problems. My local Wal-Mart now sells the 5K mile 5W-30 Mobil 1 for a couple bucks less than the 5 qt container of Syntec.

Is it worth switching to Mobil 1? Mobil 1 seems to have a lot of advertising behind it but is it superior to the Castrol product?

Reply to
Ian Zuiring

I don't think you can go wrong with either product. Hopefully you use a quality filter also.

Reply to
badgolferman

I would go with Mobil 1. On a per quart of oil sold basis, Castrol spends a lot more on Syntec advertising than does Mobil 1.

Reply to
Mark A

There are different grades of "synthetic" motor oils. For example, the Mobil 1 0W-40 is considered superior to the 5W-30 and not because of the wider range. The former is fully synthetic while the 5W-30 and many Castrols are hydrocracked and are considered second rate.

I use the $0.89 special 10W-30. Whichever brand is onsale. Every 3000 miles with Purolator PureOne. It's been fine and inexpensive.

Refer to the GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline) spec, VW 502.00, 505.00 or 503.01 specs. Or better yet, refer to the BMW LL01 spec to help select synthetic oil that's within the SAE range spec of the engine you drive.

johngdole

Mobil 1 5W-30 is far superior to any conventional oil costing $0.89 per quart.

Reply to
Mark A

I sorta figure that if it is used as a factory fill in a number of fairly expensive cars like the Corvette Z06, it must do the job.

Reply to
Roy

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for

15,000 miles. Guaranteed. You've never seen an oil like this before! Benefits: Guaranteed performance and protection for up to 15,000 miles. Mobil 1 technology designed for todays longer service intervals. Proprietary formulation with 50 percent more SuperSyn helps keep engines running like new. Helps extend engine life by reducing wear and oil breakdown. Mobil 1 technology has been field tested over the last 20 years in the most severe driving conditions. Suitable for cars, vans and light trucks. mred........ for information only .not to be construed as a recomendation to buy
Reply to
mred

I know Mobil 1 is way superior to dino oil. But the full synthetic ester is better than hydrocracked syn. What I'm saying is dino works for me at 3000 mile interval. No intention to go over that.

Reply to
johngdole

But these cars also have larger filters and crank cases that hold 7-8 qts. Not the wimpy 4 qts in the 4cyl camry.

So the lowly camry probably won't fully realize the full benefit of the synthetic oil. Especially when in 2004 Toyota changed from 7500 down to 5000 due to sludge, while Honda and GM are increasing towards

12000 mile intervals.

"Toyota Motor Corp. reduced its change interval from 7,500 miles to5,000 in 2004 in part because it found that more drivers ran theirvehicles under severe stop-and-start and short trip conditions thatcause oil to deteriorate more quickly, said company spokesman BillKwong."

Reply to
johngdole

Why does this thread sound like an oil commercial?

How do you really know if you've waited too long to change your oil? How do you know if synthetic oil provides you with any benefit?

I've never seen an authoritative answer to either question.

Reply to
Alfred Einstein

Becasue you are severly jaded.

I doubt anyone can tell for sure. But while the car is under warranty, you need to change the oil according to the manufactuer specifications (or more often).

This is the easiest question of all. But if you are going to stick your head in the sand and ask for proof, then go ahead and make my day and continue using conventional oil. It makes no difference to me. If everyone used synthetic oil on a regular basis, new car sales would probably drop about

10% and the world economy would go into a tailspin and millions would starve. So you are doing a great public service by using conventional oil, and I thank you for that.

You must not have done a lot of research on the last question.

Reply to
Mark A

I ask some simple questions, and you blow up with "stick your head in the sand" and "make my day" ??

Take a chill pill.

Reply to
Alfred Einstein

Maybe it would be better if you didn't use that Alfred Einstein handle.

Reply to
Mark A

The answer to both questions is that you do used oil analysis. It costs you $20 but it tells you a lot, both about the oil and how the engine is wearing. I use Blackstone Labs but there are lots of others in the market.

BTW, it's Albert, not Alfred.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Didn't know that. Thanks.

No, the nym really is Alfred Einstein, after the famous 20th century musicologist.

Reply to
Alfred Einstein