More on 2004 Camry XLE V6 -- sporadic non-acceleration!!

Well, last week I went to visit my parents. My father has a new 2004 Camry V6 XLE with occassional sporadic acceleration (when he pushes on the gas nothing happens).

While my father drove to a restaurant sunday night, it happened twice.

It seems when he's going slow, and feeds some gas the car isn't dropping down a gear -- when he feeds more gas, it probably is dropping down two gears.

We pulled out of a gas station, and he made a left turn into traffic. While he was turning he fed gas and the car didn't accelerate. He fed more gas and suddenly the engine was spinning at more than 5k rpms...(I was in the passenger seat).

The dealer recommended he turn off the traction control (several weeks ago). Obviously that didn't make a difference. (I looked at the dashboard when this happened -- it was off). I recommended turning off overdrive (on a lark) -- it made no difference since it happened later.

I didn't drive the car -- but I'm hypothesizing when you the car needs to drop down, its not; and dropping down two gears after a short delay. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, and the only way I can get so many RPMs out of it is to floor the pedal.

I told my father this seems really crazy and really dangerous.

Is there a PDF of the owners manual anywhere? I read a review on epinions and the writer said the car needed premium gasoline (if that's a fact, my father would have NEVER bought the car!!) I looked a toyota's web site and just found a spec sheet.

marty

Reply to
marty leisner

I have had similar experiences with my 04' as well...seems there may be an issue there somewhere.

Reply to
BLimey

I believe Toyota is investigating this issue, with sporadic acceleration. However, I thought it was only occuring with the 3.3 3MZ engines, which are found only in the 2004 SE's. Do a little bit of searching on Google, i'm sure you can find out about it.

[...]

hlee