My Lesson with Fram Oil Filter

10 day ago I made the mistake of getting a Fram filter. At the time I looked for an oil filter for my 91 camry 4cyl in Kragen, all they had left that matched my car was Fram. So I got the more expensive "Tough Guard" type, thinking that it couldn't be that bad. During the last week I noticed a new problem: when starting the car when it is hot (off for 20 minutes), it took more than 15 second for the oil pressure light to disappear. I had no idea that it could be due to faulty oil pressure, until I search this NG last night. Today I purchased Pureone filter, and the oil pressure light is on for less than 2 seconds. I hope that it did not cause irreversible damage. When the oil pressure was low I did hear knocking from the engine. I saved the filter, and I am going to complain to Fram and Kragen about damaging my engine with faulty filter. Please share your suggestions regarding what can be done about putting Fram in their place. From now on, only Toyota or Denso for my car.
Reply to
bauz

bobistheoilguy.com if you want to know more about fram...

Reply to
Bob H

I like to buy the dealer filters several at a time, so I have a supply of multiple oil, air filters and gaskets on hand for future use. I like to group those purchases with other large purchases so I can ask for price discounts at the same time. Kragen is fine for bottled oil, but staying with genuine parts is the right idea. When I bought my Camry, someone had neglected to replace the air temperature sensor in the air intake enclosure for the filter - allowing unfiltered air into my engine for 15,000 miles until this newsgroup helped me figure out what was going on. All you can do it move ahead and avoid past mistakes. My engine still runs great 50,000 miles later, and I'm sure you'll be fine, too. One would not intentionally abuse the engine, but once it's done, you can't go back, so just forget about it - while not helpful, those seconds aren't going to do irreparable damage either you just heard the engine running dry of oil for a short time with no load. One would not intentionally abuse the engine, but once it's done, you can't go back, so just forget about it - while not helpful, those seconds aren't going to do irreparable damage either you just heard the engine running dry of oil for a short time with no load.

Reply to
Daniel

Tell me about this please. I am having a problem with my 97 Camry where outside air coming into the cabin smells like crankcase exhaust.

Reply to
badgolferman

When I had my car service at one of those jiffy lube type places, I always noticed that the valvetrain was extremely noisy when I first started the car. At some point later, I got one of the coupons from the car dealer and took it there. The valvetrain clatter was gone!

This was some 80,000 miles down the road when I made the discovery and the subsequent switch back to the dealer. No doubt the jiffy lube places were using a cheaper filter that didn't keep sufficient pressure in the engine's oil lines. Maybe it was some Fram clone filter they used?

The engine, and car, were retired at 125,000 miles as the valvetrain and chain were getting really noisy. I didn't want to pay for any costly engine repairs as every time I have done so in the past something else costly went wrong as well. The clutch was about shot as well.

Anyway, now I rely on the dealer for service on the new car and they usually address any Service Bulletin matters from the manufacturer. Occasionally I'll buy a filter from them and do my own oil change - but only if I have too.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

By "crankcase exhaust",.you mean engine fumes due blow-by? This should not happen if the PCV system is working with no split hoses around the PCV valve or the direct line from the cam-cover into the throttle body or intake. It maybe you are smelling exhaust. In this case, you need to check for exhaust leaks by momentarily blocking the exhaust pipe outlet with a rag. The car should start to stall. If you hear a hissing noise, or no effect, then there's a hole/s in the system somewhere. The other cause, maybe a poor seal on the trunk or boot-lid. This allows exhaust to enter the cabin, especially on over-run, down hills.

Hope you find it.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

in my 4cyl. '99 camry i use nothing but Fram filters and have so since i bought the car new. it now has about 165k miles on it and is still going strong. i've used Fram filters frot he last 20 years on everything i drive and have never had a single oil issue w/ any of my cars, work trucks or motorcycles. the oil in my '99 and my 4cyl. '02 camry get changed every

3,000 - 3,500k miles so i've been through my share of (Fram # PH4967 Extra Guard) filters especially the '99. on the '99 use at least 9 filters a year and i buy them by the case and have been since i got tired of buying three or 4 at a time. for oil i use Walmart oil 5-30 that i stock up on that i usually paid $0.79-$0.89 p/qt. and sometimes i buy other brands (like Exxon) of 5-30 when they are on sale for around a $1.00 or so w/ mail in rebates. as a mattter of fact, i doing a oil change this morning on my '02.

Happy New Year......

mike................

Reply to
JerseyMike

More info on oil filters:

They sure do not like Frams.

Reply to
Wayne55dud

I must echo Mike's comments on FRAM.

I was shocked to see any negative comments on FRAM filters as I also have used almost nothing else on all of my vehicles (way too many to list here), for many decades now! In all that time, I have never lost an engine or vehicle to sludge or oil related problems, never! In the interest of open disclosure, I change the oil and filter in every vehicle as close to 3,000 miles as possible, no matter what the manufacturers say about longer intervals, and I don't use synthetics.

When I tried to go to the links in this subject for all the horror stories, the only one that worked was bobtheoilguy so I'm still wondering what's the problem with Fram?

I am much more interested in what causes Camry's much alleged oil sludge problem. I don't have any problem, and none of my vehicles (from motorcycles to boats, to sports cars, to sedans, to trucks, etc.) has ever had a sludge problem. Some of those vehicles were/are old enough to vote two-times-over! So, why is Camry so famous for sludge problems, and why does Toyota think this is just fine?! Are we supposed to think that Camry owners are somehow inferior to others, or somehow too stupid to maintain their vehicles properly?

If there is a real problem, it must be designed in, don't you think? I know I'm just as "stupid" with my other vehicles, and as said before, I have NEVER had a sludge related problem in any engine I own(ed). Of course, it must be said, there is no sludge in my Camry, either!

Just my 2-cents worth.

Bob in Los Angeles

Reply to
Bob Giel

Bob Giel wrote: snip

snip

snip

Your diligent maintenance of your vehicles prevents you from having sludge and/or gelling problems. So, you have answered your own question on how to prevent sludge in any vehicle, Toyota or other. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

In replay to Bob and Mike: I don't know much about oil filters, and I cannot evaluate their quality. Maybe the Fram filter I complained about performed excellent job in filtering. But in my experience with Fram TG4967, it took ridiculous amount of time until the oil pressure light turned off. In the past I used ACdelco, Proline, Pureone (and more), and never had this type of a problem. I used Fram's air filter before, and had no problem. Maybe I just got one defective filter, but I don't think that I would try it again. When I noticed the oil pressure problem, I thought it was the Castrol high mileage oil I just tried for the first time (trying to solve my valve stem seals problem, which didn't help at all so far). I also thought it might be a sludge/oil pump problem, therefore I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with other non-oil-filter-experts, like myself.

Reply to
bauz

I had reduced oil pressure with from a Fram some years ago. I have never had a problem with Purolator .But i have to agree that the OE toyota filter is always the safest bet. I would definately contact Fram I think you got a defective filter !

Reply to
J.D.

More than likely what you heard was valve clatter. Not a problem.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger