Mysterious Coolant Leak Location -- V6 Camry

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the heater and radiator hoses on my '94 Camry V6. A few days ago I noticed some drops of coolant on the garage floor.

At first I assumed I must not have gotten one of the hose connections sealed. So, I checked them carefully -- they are not leaking. Also, the leak is coming from a location that eliminates the hose connections as the source.

The source is buried under so much stuff I can't see exactly where the leak originates, but the source seems to be about 6 to 10 inches below the forward edge of the intake manifold - where it meets the engine. (This is rear of where the heater hoses connect to the engine/thermostat.) I can't understand how coolant can be leaking from this location. Also, the coincidence of this new leak appearing shortly after my flushing the system and replacing the hoses is very strange indeed.

Does anybody have any ideas for the source of the leak and how a drain & flush could have caused this new leak to start. I did replace the radiator cap at the same time, but it's a Toyota cap for this model car/engine, and the pressure should be the same, so I wouldn't think it had anything to do with this leak.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

This type of leak can occur if the old cap was not holding pressure and with the new cap and higher pressure, a leak has developed, or one of the heater hoses is weeping at its clamp and the resultant drops of coolant are running down some part or the engine and dropping on the floor well away from the source.

In general if a car has had plain water as a coolant for an extended time (years) corrosion can pock-mark/rust various coolant fittings making it difficult to attain a good seal. Was this the case? If so I would seriously consider using a lower pressure cap,....has worked for me numerous times with very old cars which have been abused in this area. I hope its not one of the head-gaskets!

One way to sussout a mysterious leak is to put the car up on stands and run the engine at idle till you see the first drop on the floor (use your new radiator cap so pressure is highest). A bright light may just allow you to see where its coming from. Look everywhere as the leak maybe coming from quite a distance from where it actually drops to the floor.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for your reply.

The cooling system was pristine clean when I changed the hoses and coolant -- the old coolant was clear and there wasn't a hint of corrosion at the hose connections.

The replacement hoses are not leaking at the connections. I am sure of this.

I know where the leak drops onto the floor and was able to trace it back up in the engine compartment until it disappears under some obstructions. That's how I know it's origin is in the vicinity of 6"

- 10" below the forward/front edge of the intake manifold. This would be something like 12" - 20" inches up from the bottom of the engine compartment.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Check the weep hole on the water pump.

george

Reply to
Pakgeorge

Did you use/have Toyota anti-freeze (the red stuff) in it? I have seen a few times when people change to other types (the green stuff), the water pump goes shortly after (check the weep hole on the water pump). The Toyota antifreeze is about $11. a gallon, but experience has taught me that it is really a bargain.

Bob

Reply to
me too

I wonder if this could be from the water transfer hose inside the engine, below the intake manifold. Maybe one of the experienced Toyo mechanics can help here. Is this a water transfer hose leak symptom?

Reply to
Mercury