Mysterious Orange Dash Light Message

Hello all, Could someone please tell me what it means when an orange light goes on every time I shift from "Park" to "Drive"? It looks like a picture of a car with two "lights" on towards the back/rear of the car. It doesn't come on when the car's turned on - only when I put it in gear. Here's what I've been doing that's different from my usual driving pattern: Moved from warm, flat Texas to snowy, hilly PA and have been driving the car with the overdrive set to "Off" so I don't keep riding the brakes going downhill in snowy, icy conditions. PLEASE tell me I haven't messed up my transmission in any way. The car has only 74,000 miles and it's a 2000 Camry. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
kadukchum

You have a burned-out brake light.

Reply to
Nobody Important

The orange light is an indicator that a rear light is out.

It will be off when you start the car.

If it goes on when you step on the brake peddle, you have a burned out brake light. Don't forget to check the high center brake light too. If you can't find a burned out brake light, it could be a dirty or corroded connection to one of the bulbs, or it could be a "weak" filament in a bulb.

Note: You have to step on the brakes to shift out of Park, so you think it is coming on when you shift, but I'll bet is is coming on when you step on the brakes.

If the orange warning light comes on when you turn the lights on, it indicates a running light in the back of the car is out. Running lights are the lights that come on when you turn the light switch to the first position. These running lights stay on when you switch the headlights on too.

Reply to
username

Thank you everyone for your help. It WAS my brake light that was not working (the one in the center, inside the car).

snipped-for-privacy@mailserver.mail wrote:

Reply to
kadukchum