Need advice ASAP! Can I bypass Catalytic converter?

Cars been totaled but is still drivable. We need it for 1 more month while we find a new car. The pipe leading into the cat is shot. Will it affect the engine if I cut back to good pipe, remove the cat. and just run a pipe in place of the cat?

This car will never pass another inspection. I just have to quite it down for 1 month then the car is history.

Car runs fine now. will removing the cat affect that? I doubt it as most of the exhast is blowing out before it reaches the cat anyway.

I only have this afternoon to get this done so TAI

Steve

Reply to
steve

Depending on the year of vehicle and engine, the only problem you should have is the MIL will come on and the engine may run lean. The thing will still run, and over the long term you may damage it, but if there is no long term, screw it.

Reply to
qslim

How did it get totalled? Generally a total loss means the car should be repaired before being driven, but in another post I stated that I sell salvage title cars, and some of them *are* quite drivable.

Best advice? rent something. Bypassing the Cat is a ferderal offense! I doubt you'd get caught, but... (um, where did you say you live??? ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Good point. The FBI is always in my shop looking for offenders! Locked up two guys today!

Reply to
qslim

It shouldn't cost any more to weld in a new piece and leave the Cat there. Ya really don't want to just do a slip joint and risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Reply to
Wolfgang

See! Let's be careful out there!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Dude, you're talking to a guy who, as a College student, couldn't afford $325 for a stock CAT, or $245 for an aftermarket.

Loosen the pipes...ram a pipe down the center of the cat and then knock out all the stuffings so the car doesn't rattle like a snake going down the road...make sure the pipe goes far enough down the header pipe and the tail pipe so it doesen't leak...tighten it all back up and make it look good...

Oh, for the days before emissions testing!

(Ummmm...has the statute of limitations expired yet? Phew!)

Reply to
HachiRoku

I'm so glad I live in a place with no emissions testing :-D In addition to my Camry I also have several 80's GM B-Bodies. Oddly enough, every one of them had the cat removed and straight pipe welded in before I even got the vehicle! Something about leaded gas being cheaper back then...

-JCM900

up

Reply to
JCM900

Its fixed!

3 hours, two trips to autozone for warrentied replacement muffler and a couple of different patch kits and clamps. Replaced muffler and patched up the hole in the pipe leading to the cat. Sounds fine now! Should last until we can find another car. Now thats another story!!!!

Total cost = $20 - daughter not being embarrassed due to noise = Priceless!!! (it was loud!)

Daughter was taking a left. Cars in oncoming lane were stopped for red light. Guy left room for her to go through. Woman went around him and smacked her front end. I thought the hood was shifted but it looks like the whole front end was shifted about an inch. The hood wont open and the drivers front quarter panel where it meets the drivers door is crumpled and the door hits it when opening. The car drives fine though!

1990 with 130,000 miles. Good thing it doesnt burn oil because I cant open the hood to add any if it needed it.

Reply to
Steve