Need help to code 2002 Camry key

Hi,

I have recently bought a 2002 Camry CSI but unfortunately it came with only 1 master key. Got a spare key at AUD 80 and spent another 20 on cutting it. Now Toyota is asking for a further service charge for coding it. However, a previous thread indicates that I can probably save this by following a coding procedure myself. I tried it but has no luck in achieving it. Just want to see if anyone can point out if there is any trick in the following procedure.

According to a Toyota maintenance manual apparently, the programming sequence for all 1998 thru 2002 Toyota's can be programmed as follows: Insert the master key in the ignition, but do not turn it. Within 15 seconds press & release the accelerator pedal 5 times. Then within 20 seconds press & release the brake pedal 6 times. Within 10 seconds remove the master key, and insert the new key. Within 10 seconds press & release the accelerator 1 time. The security light will come on and stay on for 60 to 80 seconds while the new key number is being burned into the cars computer memory. When the security light goes off, remove the new key and depress & release the brake pedal 1 time.

I tried to apply the above procedure but it seemed to fail as the security light did not go off at the end. Does anyone know aht may have gone wrong? The security key came up once the master key had been taken out. Does it mean the first few steps in initialising the car computer module with the master key is not working?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Paul Tse.

Reply to
potse