Need help with 90 camry power windows wiring circuit

Hi, I posted a few days ago asking about a bypass switch to run the driver's window on a 90 camry. (A plastic part in the switch panel broke and can't be fixed.) SMS was very helpful in pointing me to a DPDT momentary on-off-on toggle switch. I got the switch (thru NAPA) and I understand the wiring setup needed for the switch to the window. (Thanks again SMS) What I'm not sure about is the ground and hot wire that I should tap off from to connect to the 2 center terminals on the switch.

There are about 18-20 wires running between the door and the main body of the car. (Several were cracked/broken and have been repaired.) As best as I can tell, the white wire with a black stripe is the primary ground wire, but what is the hot wire that I should use? Is it the solid blue one? I'm not very good electrically, but I used a multimeter to test all the wires. (I disconnected the white and blue plugs.) I tested the car-side wires in both plugs, and several of them showed voltage around 12. The solid blue wire showed the highest voltage.

If anyone reading this is familiar with the wiring circuits for the 90 camry, I would appreciate a confirmation (or a correction) that I should feed off the solid blue wire for hot current to the switch. (Am I also right that the white wire with black stripe is the ground?)

Thanks for any help!

I wish I knew more about wiring. And it would help if I had a diagram.

dave

Reply to
dave

Hi Dave.

You are correct, the Blue wire is +12V, the white/black is Ground. Are you aware that if you use the switch that you purchased, you'd lose the "Auto Down" and the travel limits functions?, that switch ass'y contains electronics that does more than just move the window up and down.(I would try and get an original switch ass'y) Did you try a junkyard?, Did you try an online Toyota dealer?(some of them are much cheaper than your local Toyota dealer). If you want a diagram of that system reply to: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com(remove no2spam from address). HTH JerryR

Reply to
yjrybano2spam

Hi Jerry, Thanks for responding. I appreciate the confirmation. I went ahead a couple days ago and tried wiring it up that way. It worked. I'm only keeping the car till this fall, then junking it. I just wanted a quick and cheap way to open the window during the upcoming hot summer months. (The A/C broke a couple years ago.) This ended up costing me less than $10. I didn't really care about the other functions of the original switch.

Thanks again for your time and reply. I appreciate it.

dave

Reply to
dave