Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000 Camry Solara convertible to test it.

It works except for that it's not strong enough to open the trunk.

The cable has to bend 90 degrees. It seems to move easily in its sheath. Is there any point i oiling it?

Any suggestions for a stronger one, and one that has a long enough stroke? Maybe 3/4" or 1".

Mine looks justy like this one

which they rate at 15 pounds. So I suppose this one, rated at 35 pounds ought to be enough, but even for $60 including shipping, they don't list the stroke. ;(

And the picture doesn't show a cable coming out of it. Just a separate little stiff wire thing that mine came with too. That won't work for me becaues I have to turn the cable 90 degrees. Does it really have a cable anyhow?

Right now, I'm using one from Directed Electronics, which sells for about 25 dollars, and it worked fine for 9 years in my '95 Lebaron, and maybe for a fwe years in my '88.

With the Lebaron, the cable didn't have to bend, but with this car, I have to bend it 90^, with a radius of curvature of 6 inches or so . The cable slid totally easily in the coiled housing, which I got from an old 10-speed gear shifter. (the previous one wasn't long enough. Is there any point to oiling it?

Thanks.

(Worth noting that the one now sold at JCWhitney (where I bought mine,

9 or 12 years ago, a different one from what they're selling now,) comes with instructions that said it has a 1 1/4" stroke, but both comments said it was only 3/8". That's definitely not enough. Rarely are comments so spot on and at the same time applicable to me.)
Reply to
micky

I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina. The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open. Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment. My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6" with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a gust of wind could bring it down on your head. He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there. Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time. Don't know for sure.

Reply to
Vic Smith

P&M because it's been a whole week since you posted.

Thanks. I've been busy but I wiill do that.

I decided to call a stereo/alarm store locally to see how much they watned for a bigger solenoid, where I could see how big the thing was and if it had a cable before I bought it. She she transferred me to a technical guy who asked questions, showed little or no interest in selling me anything, and said

a) it's very bad if the cable has to bend. So I have to test it with the cable straight. This means I won't be able to hide the solenoid under the black liner, where the trunk lid bends, but that's not so bad if people can see the solenoid when the trunk is open. No one looks anyhow, exce[pt me. (The 35-pound solenoid is a lot bigger than what i have and might not be hideable either.)

b) I should leave slack in the cable, so the think on the end that pulls the latch gets a "running start". If it butts up against the latch, it likely won't work. That's a problem because I checked and the current solenoid only has a half inch of travel, which is about how far the latch has to be moved, so there's no spare for slack. Maybe I will have to buy a bigger one, but first I will do what a) requires.

Reply to
micky

No change planned there. I did check if the weight of the solenoid made the turnk lid fall down and it didn't. Later I think I read in their owners or shop manual something about some named weight not affecting balance.

Well, actualy my previous car, a Lebaron, didnt' move at all when the remote or the key unlatched the trunk. I sort of liked that. I coudl put the lid down without locking it and no one noticed it wasnt' locked. When I had to replace a support strut, I only did one, so it wouldn't go up when unlocked.

This car maybe the turnk lid moves a tenth of an inch. When it's sitting there, I don't think anyone would notice that it's open. That's especially important because in 2000, since there was only a mechanical turnk release, there is no spare channel on the remote, and I'll be connecting the trunk solenoid to a relay that is connected to the right door unlock wire. So every time I unlock the right hand door, except maybe when I use the lever inside the car it will unlock and unlatch the trunk. So it's good that it doesn't pop up. I thought about getting a newerr remote receiver and some 4-button remotes, but I didnt' find any receivers in junk yards and new it would be a lot of money.

Thanks,

Micky

Reply to
micky

Just add a second receiver and use a separate remote for the trunk

Reply to
clare

That is so un-chic, but you make a good point.

Reply to
micky