New quarter panel or repair

I have a 1997 Camry that was hit & run. The insurance company sent me a check to repair the car with a new quarter panel. But i get stuck with the Deductible.

2 Auto repair shops that are in business for years in my neighborhood say they can repair the quarter panel for alot less. 1 shop which i used before & did a beautifull job on my wifes car said it's the amatuers that replace the quarter panel. The shop said it will also compound & wax the intire car & make it look new for 500.00 less than the check i got from the insurance company. Does this sound like a better deal then getting the new quarter panel. Remember the car is 10 years old. Should i go for it???????????
Reply to
desgnr

desgnr

If it's a reputable body shop that (as you say) you've done business with before, I'd say sure, go ahead. Earlier this year our '97 Camry was hit in the rear fender by our neighbor, and the AAA (her ins. co) paid off like a slot machine, even including two weeks' car rental, a total of almost $3000. I spent a few serene hours with a few hammers, a lot of sanding and a lot of Bondo, and fixed it passably for about $100. The Camry was only worth less than $4000 before the accident, and I didn't feel it worthwhile to get it fixed professionally. Meanwhile, I've got about $2900 in the bank for it. Incidentally, I was able to send AAA's adjuster some digital pictures of the dent via e-mail, and he didn't even come out to look at the car!

Reply to
mack

at the welded spots in

they can repair the quarter

the amatuers that replace

for 500.00 less than the

before, I'd say sure, go

and the AAA (her ins. co)

almost $3000. I spent

and fixed it passably for

I didn't feel it

Yet you took insurance money that wasn't spent on eventual repairs. You have the morals and ethics of a sewer rat.

dent via e-mail, and he

Reply to
sharx35

You're as full of shit as a Christmas goose, sharx. When an insurance company gives you a reimbursement for damage caused by their insured, you are free to use the funds however you want, which even the adjuster told me, smartass. I even used the body shop for the estimate that AAA suggested. And if you choose not to use a rental car instead of a bicycle or public transportation, that's also your choice. Morals and ethics have nothing to do with it. But I forget, I'm talking to a highly moral and ethical individual. uh huh. foad.

Reply to
mack

rust at the welded spots in

they can repair the

it's the amatuers that

new for 500.00 less than

before, I'd say sure, go

and the AAA (her ins. co)

of almost $3000. I

Bondo, and fixed it

the accident, and I didn't

the morals and ethics of

insured, you are free to

even used the body shop

car instead of a bicycle

nothing to do with it.

Like MOST LIEbrawls or DEMONrats, mack feels "entitled" to everything...just for being.....mack.

Reply to
sharx35

Sorry, man, I agree with Mack here. The person that hit him pays for insurance for just such a purpose. At $3000 I'm surprised the car wasn't written off, but the Ins co paid. If Mack had wanted to scrap the car and use the $3K as a payment for a new car, that's his perogative.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the backup, Hachi. I could also use the $3K to pay for a trip to Vegas and a week of exotic hookers, or contribute it to the Children's Milk Fund, or whatever I want to do with it.

Talking sense into sharx is a waste of time. He's got his agenda....meanspiritedness in everyting he posts....so until he dries up and blows away, we have to suffer him, as we do all such fools.

Reply to
mack

Talking sense into sharx is a waste of time. He's got his agenda....meanspiritedness in everyting he posts....so until he dries up and blows away, we have to suffer him, as we do all such fools.

AMEN !!!! His replies are a waste of time.

Reply to
doncee

(Um, I have to admit, I kinda like Sharx...sometimes his 'coarse' pointing out of the Obvious is a good thing and amusing too...however, this time I think he missed...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

hookers, or contribute it to

posts....so until he

Not so. I've agreed with you, in some other threads. I never, ever claimed that you did anything ILLEGAL, just unethical.

Reply to
sharx35

Well, Mrs. Sharx and I have cleaned up, on occasion, thanks to insurance companies. However, it involved pain, suffering and a written-off vehicle.

Reply to
sharx35

Yes, that is unfortunate. And that's why we have insurance...

Reply to
Hachiroku