new rotors?

Hi guys,

I've got some brake pulsation at freeway speeds. I'm pretty sure it's beca use I need new rotors. I'm reluctant to change them though because my brak e pads still have lots of material (I got some fairly premium pads), and I heard I need to change the pads at the same time.

Will it hurt anything if I change the rotors but keep the pads?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

cause I need new rotors. I'm reluctant to change them though because my br ake pads still have lots of material (I got some fairly premium pads), and I heard I need to change the pads at the same time.

Come to think of it I don't see anything in the Haynes manual that says the brake pads *must* be changed along with the rotor.

Also, can the torque plate come off with the brake pads still in place? Or must the caliper be removed from the torque plate?

Reply to
mrdarrett

make sure the pins holding the calipers allow the calipers to float freely so the calipers center on the rotor properly.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Thanks!

Reply to
mrdarrett

People working on their own car can do whatever they want. Trade practice says basically "replace pads when installing new rotors, and replace any/all hardware."

IME GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I ended up replacing the pads anyway. Plenty of material on the old pads. When the new pads get worn I think I'll just put the old pads back on.

I had a tough time getting the rotors off (they were rusted to the plate, even PB Blaster didn't help much) so I used the propane torch trick.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

they're always rusted on, that's why those screw holes are there....and why the BFH was invented. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Mine didn't have any screw holes. I would have loved to use them.

I put a little bit of hi-temp grease on the new rotor between the plate and the rotor backing. I did the same trick on the rear drums; makes them much easier to remove next time.

Reply to
mrdarrett