No CD Player in my 2000 Camry Radio

The CD stopped working last winter (cassette and radio are OK). The manual said go to the dealer for repair. The dealer confirmed what I knew - the CD was broken and would have to be returned to Toyota for repair. Ouch! I have three options: 1) live without the CD; 2) replace with a used OEM radio; 3) install a changer in the trunk and hope the radio will accept its input. The third option is pricey and not assured success. Question: will the newer in-dash radios with changers fit in a 2000 Camry? I think the in-dash changer has been available since 2005 (saw a used one on eBay for $250).

Reply to
Richard Cheney

Try blowing in high pressure compressed air, it fixed mine, You car is a dusty invironment .

Reply to
m Ransley

How about having a decent aftermarket unit installed? The OEMs are godawful expensive, and for half the price you can get a nice easy to install Pioneer or the like. Check out

for a list of what will fit your car.

Reply to
qslim

Ever heard of MP3?

Dealer repaired CD player = ludicrous price + stuck with same old shitty non-MP3 CD player which will break again

Used OEM radio = same old shitty non-MP3 player, which will break

CD Changer? With MP3 technology available? One CD holds approximately

150-200 MP3's....

For $150-$200 you could have a brand new professionally installed aftermarket MP3 unit that works

Toyota Dealer: 1-12v dash bulb = $8.50 + $75 Installation Internet:- 1 Dozen 12v dash bulbs + Installation Instructions - $1.55

Good luck

Love my Camry, but the Toyo dealers suck

Reply to
Homer S.

================================================== Seems Alpine makes some nice, reasonably priced units available there. Check the reviews. I have replaced the stock sound units a couple of times, seeking to preserve the original appearance (eBay), but finally coming to the conclusion that the aftermarket are a lot better than stock in this area. Currently considering the Alpine CDE-9843 CD/MP3.

Daniel

Best Buy had a $99 JVC MP3-CD player (with removable faceplate). They might still have it at that price. Not as good as Alpine, I know, but still, very good bang for the buck. (I am happy with it.)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Best bet I've seen (bang for the buck) has been an MP3 stick that transmits on FM (107.9 I think). So, you load your music via USB on MP3 format, then place the stick near the radio and play back on FM. Looked pretty good, cost way $107 for 500MB (about 300 songs) AND there was no installation required. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!! Rich C.

Reply to
Richard Cheney