No difference between Daytime Running Lights and Low Beams

Hi,

Just bought a '99 XLE last month, great car. However, I've noticed it has very poor headlighting, but now I realize the low beam output is exactly the same as the daytime running light (DRL) output.

Could it be that the Low Beams aren't actually working? The car has automatic on headlights when it gets dark out, but the only difference I notice between low beam and DRL is that with the low beams the dashboard lights are also on.

I always thought that when DRL used headlights they usually used a lower output level than low beams, that's why I'm getting confused.

Comments?

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Father Guido being of bellicose mind posted:

Not always the case AND not all cars utilize the low beams as the DRLs. Some use the high beams at slightly reduced voltage (Saturns) or use the front turn signals on -bright- (Corvette).

I got fed up with that DRL stuff early on with my 2003 Corolla so.... I followed the Toyota approved method to deactivate BOTH the DRLs and the automatic headlight (Twilight) feature.

Reply to
Philip®

See, I didn't rise to the bait.

Reply to
Shaarx

In news:Z0NLb.1250$wf1.67@edtnps89, Shaarx being of bellicose mind posted:

Hey! You've realized that DRLs are not all about you! LOL

Reply to
Philip®

Nrm, it does, it has an inline resistor on the 99, see it by the wiper motor area? Now its possible it may use the high beam headlamps with the resistor for the DRL's

Reply to
MDT Tech®

__________________________ Thanks I'll check into it!

Norm